What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It appears that the Pencil won't work with the 9.7 inch version Pro...

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
I was unable to get the pencil to work with my new Pro 9.7, so I am assuming that the pencil is not designed to work with the smaller Pro. Has anyone else had a different experience?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Apple Pencil is intended to work with the smaller iPad Pro as well.

Which problem did you experience?

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Apple Pencil is supposed to work with both sizes of iPad Pro. Does the Pencil show as being paired with your iPad Pro?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have a nearby Apple Store, you could take the iPad Pro and the Apple Pencil there and test out both. You could test your iPad Pro with other Apple Pencils and test your Apple Pencil with other iPad Pros. If there's a defect in either one, you could get it replaced under warranty. As a just in case matter, you should back up your iPad Pro to iTunes on your computer in case there is something wrong with it and you're offered a replacement.

Last edited:
OP
slothead

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
Thanks for responding so quickly folks. The 9.7 just doesn't respond to the pencil. I turned on the bluetooth and expected it to appears in the bluetooth status 'menu' but it isn't there. There was no response from the pencil either in selection options in One Note, or trying to draw with it after the draw icon was selected by finger.

Is there a chance that its pairing with my 12" Pro (I don't know how to 'depair' it from that one) keeps it from pairing with the 9.7?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Plug the pencil into your lightning connector. That's what you have to do when you use it with an iPad for the first time. After a few seconds, you should see the Pair button on your iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts