What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issues with new Air2

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I broke down and bought an Apple router. The problem is gone and all works as it should. So I guess Apple has written code to work with Apple but not necessarilly with other makers. Thanks for all the suggestions. Oh and how easy to set up an Apple router. Next is to put the USB printer on it and see if I can access it from the Windows machine too.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I broke down and bought an Apple router. The problem is gone and all works as it should. So I guess Apple has written code to work with Apple but not necessarilly with other makers. Thanks for all the suggestions. Oh and how easy to set up an Apple router. Next is to put the USB printer on it and see if I can access it from the Windows machine too.

That is not quite correct. There have been a lot of advancements with modems and routers. In addition updates are available for modem and or routers to comply with the new standards The new AC standard is an example though this will require purchasing a new router. I personally updated my Telstra cable modem router to a new Dual band AC model and I now achieve 105 MBS per sec. I was lucky if I had 12mb per sec down load with the old one. In many cases world wide iSP's supply average modems etc with older technology that works say for your PC but a bit flaky with newer devices. The apple product is the latest AC device so hopefully it will give you years of service. Upgrading it is easy as well.

Last edited:
OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Perhaps better to say Linksys is Not about to worry too much about updating the software for Apple specs. The router is dual band EA3500 and not that old. But Apple router working fine now.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Routers are complex. Yes, there are standards, but standards are not always interpreted or implemented exactly the same. And bugs, of course. Routers are mostly software, and like any software they often have bugs.

Most manufacturers test very carefully against Windows and as much of the popular windows hardware as possible. They also test against Apple hardware, but given how many more Windows computers there are in the world it would be surprising if they didn't spend most of their time and budget there.

Apple, on the other hand, is going to test its routers with its own hardware first and worry about Windows second. If Airport routers didn't work better with Apple products it would a major failure on their part.

In the end, most routers work with most computers most of the time; but when they don't it can be almost impossible to figure out why; because routers are complex.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are work a rounds the Linux most likely will not support AC type devices sometimes one has to change channels to channel 11 as this seems to work some times. There are many new devices including the Samsung s5 ph and later tablets that support AC wifi. So it is not about apple it is about changes in technology As others stated 2 many standards and lack of support. I personally recommend both Apple and also Netgear modems.

Rojas4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I remember when I first got my iPad Air 1, my wifi would drop connection at random almost every day,then I read online that changing the SSID name would help,so I changed the name from the default Netgear too a different name, and it never lost connection again.

Scottysize

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Congrates. I know they are expensive, as I've purchased 2 over the last 6 years, but the Apple routers are the best routers I've ever had. I'm on my second AirPort Extreme. The only reason I updated my 2009 AirPort Extreme 3rd gen to the 5th gen was because I wanted the faster throughput (I do a lot of file sharing in my home network.), and I wanted the 3TB unit as I only had the 1TB before. I've had my current unit since launch date in 2011 and it runs flawlessly. The signal's great no matter where you are in my house and living on an acre I can even hit it from deep in the back yard.

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Scottysize, I am liking it, easy set up, good operation. Now to sell the olsLinksys :)

Tweak2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A different subject here. Picked up my new Air2 yesterday and it synced thru itunes perfectly. No problems. Great performance over my iPad 2. Used it this morning closed the Smart Cover. Picked it up this afternoon and nothing but a dark screen. Neither the home or off button would turn it on. After holding the home & off buttons down a few seconds, the ipad did a reset and seems to be working great again. Battery charge was/is in the 80% range. Troublesome. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Had the same issue shortly after above discussions. Used the same solution and it rebooted and no issues since. The magic of electronics!

Most reactions

Latest posts