What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issue with ipad forum

eddieg

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ever since i updated to 8.1.3 whenever i come to this forum and go to active topics the little spinning wheel in the top left corner of the screen next to the WiFi symbol doesn't stop spinning. It only does this when i go to active topics. I've tried everything i can think of hard reset cleared cache and history forced closed safari. It doesn't do this on any other forums i visit just this one. Any ideas?

Thanks Ed

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've never seen this problem myself. Is anything running in the background on your iPad that could be monopolizing your CPU?

OP
E

eddieg

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No nothing running in the background like I said it only does this when I go into active topics on this forum. It doesn't do it on any other forum I visit.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try going to Settings > Safari and Clear History and Web Data.

You'll have to log back into all the sites that normally remember you, but it will clear up most problems when sites that use a lot of javascript and/or other data (like this one) get confused.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok. Just checked myself.

If the page is downloading and displaying properly and what you are talking about is that the active/spinning wheel all the way up on the status bar, next to the signal strength, then I see it too.

Actually, it spins on pretty much every page of the site, not just the Active Topics.

There is probably an active element on the site that keeps the connection open. It could be an add, or some part of the page automatically updates without you having to manually refresh.

I've seen it on other sites as well.

Or, it may have nothing to do with the site at all. That activity indicator is for the iPad as a whole. It will spin if the iPad is doing downloads in the background as well; say for app updates.

Addendum:
I just retested this site and a few others before clicking Post Reply, and the spinning has stopped. Even for the Active Topics page. That suggests that my iPad was indeed doing something in the background. I took a look at the App Store and see I have several recent app updates, and eight more waiting to update; so I suspect that's what was/is going on.

OP
E

eddieg

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah mine doesn't stop spinning only on the active topics page everywhere else it stops strange.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We have a sister forum at iphoneforums.net.
It uses the same forum software as this forum. See if you get the same non stop spinning wheel anywhere on that site.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've noticed that when I have the problem, which isn't all the time, I can temporarily fix it by clearing the browsing history and closing the open tabs in Safari. I don't know why this works but it does for me.

OP
E

eddieg

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah that works for me also. I wonder why it does it when in the active topics only?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah that works for me also. I wonder why it does it when in the active topics only?
I think it may be an issue with the forum software, ZenForo, not being fully compatible with Safari. I have a Windows computer at home, I'll try it with that to see if the problem exists there as well.

Most reactions

Latest posts