What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is your iPad jailbroken?

Is your iPad jailbroken?

• Yes

Votes: 62 23.9%
  • No

Votes: 166 64.1%
  • I plan to jailbreak when it is available for my firmware.

Votes: 28 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters

Drew wal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
From my understanding its that many 'i' products are designed to work efficiently within tolerances , within software & hardware parameters for the products own safety & stability & for the continued user experience.
The massive scope of droid products inherits incompatibilities across so many brands and Os's , for example one OS may not work on another device and thus fragmentation occurs with so many droid devices devs have a nightmare task in building or designing apps that have to work on several hundred variants of one os , for example the silly named 'ice cream la la' os for one device will have different capabilities for another device because of hardware variables , therefore causing complications and inevitably crashs .
My experience , and continued amusement from people I know using droid things is their frustration at not being able to find some apps that work on one tablet but won't work on another running exactly the same os , and reluctantly find themselves out of the loop per say and inevitably have to purchase another 'new' product which seems to come out every week these days ....!
I personally know a close friend who's changed his droid device 3 times in one year , maybe even less time than that , only because the previous model for one reason or another crashed often or doesn't support this , that , or whatever.

At least with my ipad and not being jail broken in can retain some comfort that I cannot compromise its integrity .

I don't dismiss jail breaking , I have no reason to .

My analogy would be thus : just because you own something does it give you the overall right to change its vulnerabilities , would you remove the airbags on your car and then make it faster with additional turbos , only to find when you crash things break and then complain because it's not good enough.

Sent from my awesome iPhone 5S 64gb Gold using ipf

SoloPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From my understanding its that many 'i' products are designed to work efficiently within tolerances , within software & hardware parameters for the products own safety & stability & for the continued user experience.

Another way to put it is that iThings are not as capable as Apple would have you believe, and they put them in jail to keep you from discovering the limits.

A slave doesn't discover that 10-foot chain around his ankle if he's in a room that's only 8 feet across.

My experience , and continued amusement from people I know using droid things is their frustration at not being able to find some apps that work on one tablet but won't work on another running exactly the same os , and reluctantly find themselves out of the loop per say and inevitably have to purchase another 'new' product which seems to come out every week these days ....!

How is this different from iOS version incompatibility?

I personally know a close friend who's changed his droid device 3 times in one year , maybe even less time than that , only because the previous model for one reason or another crashed often or doesn't support this , that , or whatever.

And I have been using the same Galaxy pad at work for a year and a half, and the same Galaxy phone for longer than that (the pad belongs to the job, I bought the phone myself and have seen no reason to change it).

At least with my ipad and not being jail broken in can retain some comfort that I cannot compromise its integrity .

This can be important, and to you it clearly is. This is fine, if you are willing to live within the limitations and the required machine overhead in the other devices which you use to support it. If it works for you, don't change it.

My analogy would be thus : just because you own something does it give you the overall right to change its vulnerabilities , would you remove the airbags on your car and then make it faster with additional turbos , only to find when you crash things break and then complain because it's not good enough.

I have the right to remove the airbags and add turbos -- it's MY car, not Ford's -- and I can complain that even with the airbags out and turbos in it still doesn't perform as well as my neighbor's car and is still harder and more expensive to drive, especially if it was advertised as being superior, but the dealer didn't mention the deficiencies.

However, I believe that your point on complaints was that someone who modifies the car / jailbreaks the iThing has no right to complain that it crashes afterward, and I agree, to a point. If I have my airbags off and the turbos on, I still have the right to complain if the car won't shift out of first gear, ESPECIALLY if I discover that Ford built it like that because the wheels will come off at 30 MPH.

My complaint is that you are FORCED to jailbreak your iThing to get some basic functionality which is taken for granted in ALL competing platforms of the last 10 years. Imagine if you had to jailbreak your computer in order to go to websites that the company doesn't like? When I loaded Suse Linux on my computer, I simply put in the DVD and rebooted. Acer didn't build the computer to keep it from working and Microsoft didn't write their software to keep me from doing it.

Apple has specifically designed the iOS updates to KILL jailbreaks, and they won't allow STABLE, PROVEN APPS on the store which let you do things such as open file transfer, because they want to keep full control over the iThings.

Last edited:

Drew wal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
" I still have the right to complain if the car won't shift out of first gear, ESPECIALLY if I discover that Ford built it like that because the wheels will come off at 30 MPH"

That made me chuckle :)
I've known fords like that lol
I understand what your saying as much as you understand my points and thank you , nice to have valid case for each device , after all everyone's got their right to purchase and do what they wish .
Although the "Ford" reference was a giggle ,
:)

Sent from my awesome iPhone 5S 64gb Gold using ipf

SoloPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If not for the need to jailbreak, I'd be first in line for the new mini. As it is now, I will use the one I have until I can get the nav program in Android, then sell this while I can still get some of my money back.

That one thing makes all the difference in the world.

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If not for the need to jailbreak, I'd be first in line for the new mini. As it is now, I will use the one I have until I can get the nav program in Android, then sell this while I can still get some of my money back.

That one thing makes all the difference in the world.

Thanks, SoloPilot, your and other's responses have helped me understand much better what jb is. I think I will have to do a google research to understand more fully. There is a lot of terminology I don't understand. Fly high and do a loop for me ok? My Dad had a Cessna and a landing strip on our farm! He taught me how to fly but not land or take off! Probably a good thing in hindsight! :)

Peace begins with a smile.
M Teresa

iBryant

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have thought about jail breaking, but I heard it voids the warranty. My iPhone isn't under warranty anymore, so I would be willing to jailbreak that. Just not my new iPad.

Drew wal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Quote : " IF IT AINT BROKE , DONT FIX IT !!!!!!!" WHY muck around with something that already works , if you feel the need to mess with something that's already broke get an android !!!! :) Sent from my awesome iPhone 5S 64gb Gold using ipf

Zugzwang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
plus.google.com
Quote : " IF IT AINT BROKE , DONT FIX IT !!!!!!!" WHY muck around with something that already works , if you feel the need to mess with something that's already broke get an android !!!! :) Sent from my awesome iPhone 5S 64gb Gold using ipf

Well, then you'd just be arguing over whether to root or not, rather than jail break.

I rooted my Android phone, mainly to get rid of all the crap bloatware Verizon and Samsung threw in there. It had a few other nice features, like volume boosters and whatnot, but I see no reason to screw with the iPad. It does is job, and has little bloat.

Although I do miss being able to download torrents and access the files.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Don't care if it voids the warranty. I don't wanna pay to the "Geniuses" in the apple store (Or retailer store) to fix my iPad which i never had any problems with.

I hated the iOS stock icons. I use a theme to fix that.

I also don't like safari. I use chrome as a lot of features in safari I don't need. Chrome is the fastest browser in iOS with nitrous. And change browser with chrome.

Typing in touchscreen is hard. So I use jailbreak tweaks to make it easier to edit and fix the mistakes I have done.

iOS is broke and needs to be fixed.

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
NO! Don't want to either. Simple is good for me. ;)

Peace begins with a smile. :)
M Teresa

PMcglynn72

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see a need too. Plus I don't wanna brick or hurt my device and void the warranty.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't see a need too. Plus I don't wanna brick or hurt my device and void the warranty.

Its a myth that jailbreaking an iPad will brick an iPad. And a simple restore will always fix any problem you get from jailbreaking. Yeh voiding the warranty is a problem too which is why I jailbreaked my iPad AFTER I still have my warranty.

Most reactions

Latest posts