What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this the "norm" with an iPad stylus?

Videographer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a stylus for my iPad 2 at Best Buy this weekend. It's their brand called "Rocketfish". They had another one by Targas (I think it's called), but it was a few dollars more. The BB sales rep said that they are both basically the same. I've never used one before, so I took his word for it. I'm having second thoughts as to perhaps there are indeed differences in these little devices. The tip on mine is a soft rubbery substance, but what I find peculiar is that it's not solid like I thought it would be. You can push the end of the tip right in. Is this normal for the tips on these stylus pens or just the brand that I'm using? It seems to work ok, but then I don't have anything else to compare it with. Like I mentioned, it's ok, but not terribly responsive. You have to use more force than I would with just my finger tip. Could I ask your advice please?

Thank you

Cywa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess you have to decide what u r going to use the stylus primarily for.

I've bought several styli from cheapo $2 no-brand ones to over $20 branded ones in my search for the best one for writing/note-taking. I even made one myself. All except one has a broad rubber tip which is easily squashed if I press too hard. The one exception has a flat spatula-looking tip made of hard plastic (imagine a smaller version of a dentist's mirror). All of them work perfect for tapping, swiping etc. But not for precise note-taking as the tips are so broad. In fact the harder rubber tips are worse off as they do not glide as smoothly over the screen.

Only recently, I read that Wacom has launched a Bamboo stylus specially for the iPad. It's smaller and has a pointy tip. Should be better for writing. There was this other unique stylus that looks exactly like a paint brush. Maybe specifically for digital artists...

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Videographer said:
I bought a stylus for my iPad 2 at Best Buy this weekend. It's their brand called "Rocketfish". They had another one by Targas (I think it's called), but it was a few dollars more. The BB sales rep said that they are both basically the same. I've never used one before, so I took his word for it. I'm having second thoughts as to perhaps there are indeed differences in these little devices. The tip on mine is a soft rubbery substance, but what I find peculiar is that it's not solid like I thought it would be. You can push the end of the tip right in. Is this normal for the tips on these stylus pens or just the brand that I'm using? It seems to work ok, but then I don't have anything else to compare it with. Like I mentioned, it's ok, but not terribly responsive. You have to use more force than I would with just my finger tip. Could I ask your advice please?

Thank you

I purchased the other one at Best Buy several months ago. There were two versions of the Targas, the one I have also has a pen in it, nice but not necessary.
Yes the tip is a little soft and hollow, like anything new it takes a little time to get the feel of the stylus. As for responsiveness, once you get the feel of it there should be not problem. It is great for marking up and document (hiliting) or annotating a document. As well as drawing on a document. I would like to see a thinner tip firmer for writing.

Sent from my iPhone/iPad using iPF

OP
V

Videographer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess you have to decide what u r going to use the stylus primarily for.

Only recently, I read that Wacom has launched a Bamboo stylus specially for the iPad. It's smaller and has a pointy tip. Should be better for writing. There was this other unique stylus that looks exactly like a paint brush. Maybe specifically for digital artists...

Interesting. Years ago I owned a Wacom tablet when I did artwork/ad design for a local magazine. I long since got rid of the tablet. I will check out Wacom's stylus.

Where in Indonesia are you? I visited there about 20 years ago. Stayed in Jakarta. Didn't get a chnace to venture outside of Jakarta as I ended up with a good case, of what one refers to here as . . . "Montezuma's Revenge". I thought I was going to die. I did enjoy my time there, other than the time I was on my back that is. I loved the people and the food. Wherever I went, people wanted me to pose with their family for a picture. And the kids? Well that is another story. I never seen so many well behaved, pleasant and respectful children. I hope it hasn't changed.

OP
V

Videographer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Videographer said:

Thank you

I purchased the other one at Best Buy several months ago. There were two versions of the Targas, the one I have also has a pen in it, nice but not necessary.
Yes the tip is a little soft and hollow, like anything new it takes a little time to get the feel of the stylus. As for responsiveness, once you get the feel of it there should be not problem. It is great for marking up and document (hiliting) or annotating a document. As well as drawing on a document. I would like to see a thinner tip firmer for writing.

Sent from my iPhone/iPad using iPF

I'm glad to here that the hollow point is normal. Perhaps I will spend a little time getting used to what I have. It's seems to be built nice with a chrome finish. I'm going to check out a stylus by Wacom that another poster suggested. It might be handy for writing and drawing.

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have tested quite a few styluses for the iPad and can recommend one tht stands out from all the others for handwriting: the iFaraday. Don't know about drawing or just punching virtual buttons---.

VitaW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I made one with a lead holder that drafters use and conductive foam. I stuck a q-tip tick inside the foam so that it has a firmer tip and the lead holder holds onto the stick end. I love it. It works really well.

Cywa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Videographer said:
Interesting. Years ago I owned a Wacom tablet when I did artwork/ad design for a local magazine. I long since got rid of the tablet. I will check out Wacom's stylus.

Where in Indonesia are you? I visited there about 20 years ago. Stayed in Jakarta. Didn't get a chnace to venture outside of Jakarta as I ended up with a good case, of what one refers to here as . . . "Montezuma's Revenge". I thought I was going to die. I did enjoy my time there, other than the time I was on my back that is. I loved the people and the food. Wherever I went, people wanted me to pose with their family for a picture. And the kids? Well that is another story. I never seen so many well behaved, pleasant and respectful children. I hope it hasn't changed.

The new Wacom Bamboo stylus is different from the ones they made for tablet PCs running Windows Tablet PC OS. Those don't work on the iPad because they are not conductive. In fact they need special drivers to run. I tried on the iPad and an iPad-clone running Win7. Both didn't work... :(

I'm in Jakarta. 20 years ago huh? That's a lifetime ago... Indonesia has changed drastically since then... Call it globalization. "Bule's" (Caucasians) are much more common now, and nobody would pester you anymore for photos... But the people are still friendly (overall) and the food is still good!

OP
V

Videographer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Videographer said:

The new Wacom Bamboo stylus is different from the ones they made for tablet PCs running Windows Tablet PC OS. Those don't work on the iPad because they are not conductive. In fact they need special drivers to run. I tried on the iPad and an iPad-clone running Win7. Both didn't work... :(

I'm in Jakarta. 20 years ago huh? That's a lifetime ago... Indonesia has changed drastically since then... Call it globalization. "Bule's" (Caucasians) are much more common now, and nobody would pester you anymore for photos... But the people are still friendly (overall) and the food is still good!

Shame about the Wacom.

I am happy to hear that some things have not changed in Jakarta (friendly people and the great food). I do miss my time spent there, but now that I'm on a fixed income I doubt whether I will be venturing back. At least I have good memories.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tested quite a few styluses for the iPad and can recommend one tht stands out from all the others for handwriting: the iFaraday. Don't know about drawing or just punching virtual buttons---.

+1...No, +10. The iFaraday is a revelation compared to any of the (several) other styluses I've used. I was skeptical since I was mainly satisfied with my Targus combo stylus/pen. But I figured $10-$15 was worth it to find out what the fuss was about. Now I know. The capacitive fabric over the foam dome is significantly superior to competitors.

Buy one. Use it. You'll see what the fuss is about.

mtealo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have found the POGO brand good but expensive. I also have a AluPen on the way and can get back to you. Don't buy ones with a slanted tip to use like a pencil as they are useless.

Any feed back is appreciated

bdullea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an alupen and a bamboo stylus, here is my take on both. First the alupen the size is kind of strange at first like holding a crayon when you where a kid, the tip feels nice on the iPad but kind of fat the right with. I do like the feel on the iPad though. The bamboo stylus I have had for about three weeks, the tip is much smaller than the alupen so you can write with more precision than the alupen but the tip is definitely softer and flexes on the screen more. I do like the over all feel of the bamboo better more like a pen or pencil in your hand, it does seem to leave smudges on the screen sometimes I think this has to do with the flexible tip, they just wipe right off so not a big deal. But the bamboo also cost 29.00 as the alupen only cost 14.00 so if you need a precise writing instrument the bamboo is the way to go, foe simple joys or doodles save the money and get an alupen. Hope this helps.

bdullea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an alupen and a bamboo stylus, here is my take on both. First the alupen the size is kind of strange at first like holding a crayon when you where a kid, the tip feels nice on the iPad but kind of fat the right with. I do like the feel on the iPad though. The bamboo stylus I have had for about three weeks, the tip is much smaller than the alupen so you can write with more precision than the alupen but the tip is definitely softer and flexes on the screen more. I do like the over all feel of the bamboo better more like a pen or pencil in your hand, it does seem to leave smudges on the screen sometimes I think this has to do with the flexible tip, they just wipe right off so not a big deal. But the bamboo also cost 29.00 as the alupen only cost 14.00 so if you need a precise writing instrument the bamboo is the way to go, for simple jots or doodles save the money and get an alupen. Hope this helps.

Most reactions

Latest posts