What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this normal? (regarding app updates)

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got a notification that there is a Netflix app update available. When I click on the Update button, it asks me to confirm my credit card info and then asks me to confirm that I want to buy the item.

Is this normal? Shouldn't an update be free?

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GAMESHARQ said:
I got a notification that there is a Netflix app update available. When I click on the Update button, it asks me to confirm my credit card info and then asks me to confirm that I want to buy the item.

I just get prompted for my account password, then the updates download. If you have already given your CC details when you created your iTunes account, then no, it doesn't sound normal. If you give your cc details each time you buy an app, then it would make sense.

iTunes have my cc details, so I just need to provide my password. Hope this helps :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

keeep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Never been asked for CC details either, only password. How did you receive notification, were you on the apple app or was it an email. If it's an email thread thrash it now!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score

What kind of notification did you get? AFAIK the only way to know if an app update is available is through the App Store app via "Updates". When the app is open it will display a number next to the "Updates" icon (circled down arrow, lower RH corner) indicating that one or more apps have an update available . Tap on the "Update" icon and a list of app(s) will appear that need updating. Tap on "Update" or "Update All" in the upper RH corner and you will be prompted for your Apple ID. Enter your ID and the updates will begin downloading and installing.

If the notification you received is anything other than that...an email for example, it's almost certainly spam and s/b deleted (or bounced in your regular mail program) immediately.

Others may chime in but I hope that helps, thanks for posting and we'd welcome any more details. It's always good to know about these things.

EDIT: Posted before I saw Keeep's response...great minds think alike. ;)

Last edited:
OP
G

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The way I discovered it is because on my home menu, there is a number 1 next to the App Store icon.

I'm pretty sure I already entered my CC details once because I purchased a game yesterday. It's not asking for all of my info, it's asking to confirm my info and to enter the security code on the back of my credit card.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The way I discovered it is because on my home menu, there is a number 1 next to the App Store icon.

I'm pretty sure I already entered my CC details once because I purchased a game yesterday. It's not asking for all of my info, it's asking to confirm my info and to enter the security code on the back of my credit card.
That is a new one! I've never run into anything like that. :confused: FWIW I don't recall a Netflix app update for a while now, but I might have missed it. Either way, I've never been prompted for my credit card information when installing an app or updating one.

I think a call to Apple support might be in order. It may be fine, but it does sound suspicious IMO.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If it's coming via the App Store app and you've just begun with the system, I believe that you can trust that it's coming from Apple.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NetFlix is a free app. You do have a NetFlix account, don't you? If you don't have a NetFlix account perhaps that's who's asking for your CC info.

OP
G

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I definitely have a Netflix account and it's paid up to date, so I don't think that's it.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GAMESHARQ said:
I definitely have a Netflix account and it's paid up to date, so I don't think that's it.

They do ask for details, but NOT on a registered account. I would report this to Apple better to be careful :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions