What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this bad for the battery?

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
beesknees said:
Right, because everything always acts in the manner it was designed. There are no absolutes when it comes to manmade devices.

LOL actually every device works exactly how it was made. Think about it. :D

britpoper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I usually charge all my devices overnight, sometime I do it while they are powered off, sometime on. Never find any swollen battery up until now.

OP
A

antisomnic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Basically my question wasn't does leaving it plugged in at 100% kill the battery but does the battery not often going below 90% impact the overall life of it? Will doing this cause the battery to not hold a good charge down the road if I take it somewhere and don't charge it or will it not affect it at all?

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Basically my question wasn't does leaving it plugged in at 100% kill the battery but does the battery not often going below 90% impact the overall life of it? Will doing this cause the battery to not hold a good charge down the road if I take it somewhere and don't charge it or will it not affect it at all?

Actually it is BETTER for the battery if you charge it more frequently while it still has a larger charge on it.

Basically Lithium-Ion batteries have 4 stages of charging. Stage 1 (usually 1 to 85%) is the hardest on the battery. Especially if the battery is over 110 F. Stage 2, 3 and 4 get progressively easier on the battery.

The only thing that can be affected by short charging cycles is the battery percentage detection. Which is why they recommend doing a deep cycle discharge every 30 to 60 charges. That way the operating system can figure out what the battery can actually do.

clouds73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Semel said:
To finally put arguments to rest Apple’s Vice President of iPad Product Marketing Michael Tchao mentioned the following to AllThingsD today about the issue:

Apple does in fact display the iPad (and iPhone and iPod Touch) as 100 percent charged just before a device reaches a completely charged state. At that point, it will continue charging to 100 percent, then discharge a bit and charge back up to 100 percent, repeating that process until the device is unplugged. Doing so allows devices to maintain an optimum charge, Apple VP Michael Tchao told AllThingsD today. “That circuitry is designed so you can keep your device plugged in as long as you would like,” Tchao said. “It’s a great feature that’s always been in iOS.”

You are right.
I read about it and it's true

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
A

antisomnic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Skull One said:
Actually it is BETTER for the battery if you charge it more frequently while it still has a larger charge on it.

Basically Lithium-Ion batteries have 4 stages of charging. Stage 1 (usually 1 to 85%) is the hardest on the battery. Especially if the battery is over 110 F. Stage 2, 3 and 4 get progressively easier on the battery.

The only thing that can be affected by short charging cycles is the battery percentage detection. Which is why they recommend doing a deep cycle discharge every 30 to 60 charges. That way the operating system can figure out what the battery can actually do.

Great so what I'm doing is actually good. I'll try to do a full cycle every now and then. Thanks for the info everyone.

Most reactions