Is there really that much benefit for waiting for 2g?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Yoshiki UK, Jun 17, 2010.

1. iceman

iceman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    The current model doesn't have any bugs. Apple did a very good job building the iPad. That said, I will probably upgrade when the next model comes out because I don't want the resale value of this one to go down too much. I bought the 32 gb, 3G model, because I thought the resale value would be higher then the 16gb model.

Next year, there are going to be a ton of tablets hitting the market and Apple will have to stay competitive.

2. y2kgtp

y2kgtp
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    If it follows Apple's typical product life cycle, I bet we will see a price drop, then a 2G after that with more features at the same lowered price. I remember going threw this with my 1st Gen 16Gb iPod touch. (still got it :D)

3. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    So far there are several things that seem logical for the next generation iPad.
    1. Forward facing camera for using FaceTime. We know it has a slot already installed for it.
    2. More RAM to handle the iPhone iMovie app.
    3. Higher density screen like the iPhone 4.
    4. Gyroscope. According to an article on the teardown of the iPhone 4, a slot was situated on the iPad in the same location that the iPhone 4 has for the gyroscope.

4. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    One thing I hope does not happen in the 2G is an adoption of the styling of the iPhone 4. I am not a fan of the glass back look or feel. In trying to do something snazzier, they have reduced the comfort level, and the rear glass may be more prone to damage. If anything, I would love to see true carbon fiber replace the iPad aluminum back, or leave it the way it is. Trouble is, everyone has different tastes. I have a iPod Nano with the square look. I love the design, and hate the current model. Apparently, I am alone in that attitude.

5. pallentx

pallentx
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I dont get all this talk of a 2nd gen iPad - the 1st gen just has only been out a few months. If/when a second gen comes out, will you then be worried about a 3rd? There will always be something better coming. Just decide if what is here now will fill a need or do what you want. Obsolescence is a fact of life with gadgetry.

6. Phantom

Phantom
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Go For It. I did I don't regret having the iPad at all.:)

7. Ultrimate

Ultrimate
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    The most I can see is the eventual price drop of 100$ to the line 6-8 months from now.

This is slightly offensive, but hopefully we are all adults here....

What it's like to own an Apple product - The Oatmeal
    Last edited by y2kgtp; 06-17-2010 at 03:09 PM.
    -—————

Lol..

8. Matth3w

Matth3w
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    You know, you can hit the quote button next to someone's name and it quotes for you so it doesn't look like you're just reposting what someone wrote...

9. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Of course there are, you just haven't found them yet! This really isn't a slam against Apple, but software and hardware companies generally release something to market when they are convinced that it works well enough. If they waited until it was "perfect", you'd never see one!

All of these generational releases aren't always to add new features, but they also correct bugs which is why they don't usually charge for them. With my 1st gen iPod Touch, I think I only paid for one upgrade, everything else has been free.

10. y2kgtp

y2kgtp
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    The only thing that would really bug me is a higher resolution screen.