What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there anywhere using an iPad isn't sensible?

WannaBeMac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just read through this article and have to agree with the general conclusion that an iPad doesn't really make sense in a restaurant setting.

Are there other situations where you think using an iPad to replace some other bit of technology or to introduce technology doesn't make sense? Do you agree or disagree with what the author of the article concludes?

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I didn't read the article but I would concur that its probably impolite at best and not needed in a restaurant. Sort of like those floks that take or make calls in nice restaurants and annoy everyone. In a fast food place all bets are off or coffee shops as they actually push their wifi and many people use them at lunch, etc. . That being said, I read yesterday that a number of high end restaurante are using the Ipad for their wine lists and finding people arer really open to that.

OP
WannaBeMac

WannaBeMac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, Diane, the article was about whether replacing waitstaff with iPads is a good idea. So it's not so much bringing your own, but using them as provided by the restaurant.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The article is just nitpicking. I can as easily point out the problems with waiters.

High class restaurants will probably stick with waiters and wine stewards, etc. It's all about atmosphere. Mid level restaurants will look towards efficiency and cost. Tech will eventually win there. Greasy spoons will keep the overworked waitress who barely has time to take and deliver your order. At least until the tech is dirt cheap.

Reaction score
I've actually seen iPad used for order entry in a small cafe... They have a basis touch screen interface with graphics (images) to show the menu... Pros and cons, but it worked well... probably a huge market for apps like this...

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
WannaBeMac said:
Well, Diane, the article was about whether replacing waitstaff with iPads is a good idea. So it's not so much bringing your own, but using them as provided by the restaurant.

Yes, I went back and checked it and realized I had read it as linked from maybe Engadget. It seems okay for that type of restaurant. It they have any of the issues mentioned they'll take them out. Could work...esp if its in a particular demographic area that likes techy. Its a burger place more or less so waitstaff isn't "professional". The wine lists for Bones (and other places I've read about) though could work esp. If extensive and changing. A sommelier will still be needed with its 10,000 bottle cellar (took my breath away LOL)

http://www.bonesrestaurant.com/iCellar/

Last edited:

Billee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1) during a funeral eulogy

2) while in the middle of a job interview at Microsoft

3) while skiing a black diamond run

4) right after your wife says "you never give me any attention"

Most reactions

Latest posts