What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is there any chance to get it back?

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Calicrank said:
im sorry to hear that but unless you're someone who holds importance apple or the police won't do anything about it. apple wants you to cough up more money and the police are just going to add it to a stolen list. 9 out of 10 times, they won't ever come by it.

I wouldn't be so sure of that.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Last edited:

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP, sorry to hear about your stolen ipad

For the rest of forumers, who uses the screen lock passcode where you put 4 digit numbers to unlock the ipad, and if stolen, how much botheration is this screen lock to the theif

Sent from my iPad using iPF, using iOS 4.3.2

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good karma said:
OP, sorry to hear about your stolen ipad

For the rest of forumers, who uses the screen lock passcode where you put 4 digit numbers to unlock the ipad, and if stolen, how much botheration is this screen lock to the theif

I've heard not a lot because they can just reboot and use another user code. I'm sure I'm right but I have probably said it wrong. Someone explain it
In IT language.

My daughter forgot her password and I was able to reset it but with another account not so sure now.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
I've heard not a lot because they can just reboot and use another user code. I'm sure I'm right but I have probably said it wrong. Someone explain it
In IT language.

My daughter forgot her password and I was able to reset it but with another account not so sure now.

Not very reassuring then, i use the passlock on my phone, but not on the ipad as it never leaves home and other family members use it while i am away. When you reboot your daughters device, was it a phone? What i want to know is whether the stored data was deleted when you did the reboot?

Reaction score
Just to clarify a few things.

Yes, the passcode is not 100%safe, it can be deleted by resetting the whole device.

However, resetting the iPad cannot be done from the iPad itself, while the passcodelock is on; Rebooting has no effect whatsoever in this regards, as it still asks for the password upon restarting. The device can only be reset via iTunes on a desktop, any iTunes running on a PC/laptop/Mac can reset the ipad/iPhone, which deletes the passcode, but also all data.

Whether this makes it any safer, or not depends on the point of view.

Last edited:

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good karma said:
Not very reassuring then, i use the passlock on my phone, but not on the ipad as it never leaves home and other family members use it while i am away. When you reboot your daughters device, was it a phone? What i want to know is whether the stored data was deleted when you did the reboot?

It was an iPod touch and yes, her data was still all there because I had done a recent backup and synch. She was relieved. I had to look it up on the Internet for info and it was a fair old time ago so that's why I can't remember exactly why I know you can reboot a stolen device.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Just to clarify a few things.

Yes, the passcode is not 100%safe, it can be deleted by resetting the whole device.

However, resetting the iPad cannot be done from the iPad itself, while the passcodelock is on; Rebooting has no effect whatsoever in this regards, as it still asks for the password upon restarting. The device can only be reset via iTunes on a desktop.

Whether this makes it any safer, or not depends on the point of view.

There you go DUMI came to my rescue, and yes, I had to to reset on my desktop. Did I say reboot, I meant to say reset, sorry!

Reaction score
@Hayles

Were you restoring a backup onto the iPod? Because restoring a backup always removes the passcode, rebooting however should under no circumstance circumvent the passcode.

Ok, question just got answered in the post above.

Reaction score
Btw. forgetting the passcode for one's own iOS device, is not a big deal.

Just connect it to iTunes, create a backup, then restore the newest backup. The iOS device will be in the exact same state as before, but without a passcode.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Dumi and Hayles66, now i know something i did not several hours ago today

iCrank

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mtnmedic said:
I wouldn't be so sure of that.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Can you explain.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bhavana said:
What is the UDID? Is it the same as IMEI?

Can the IMEI of an ipad be changed/ formatted?

Unique device identifier. Udid can't be changed without MAJOR hacking.

bhavana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let's say, just theoretically, that YOU stole an iPad and you're asking if there is any way someone can track it if you wiped it. The answer is YES. :)

Just theoretically...

Great! I have a "theoretical" hope of getting it back!
I do hope that we are able to crack the code - apple will gain so much in terms of reliability of their brand if they are able to convey that the devices are safe and can be tracked to the original buyer - there would be less incentive to steal!

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bhavana said:
Great! Is UDID same as Mac address or IMEI?
How do I find my device's UDID?

Mac address can be changes. Mac address is what distinguishes your device from another device on a network. UDID is pretty much engraved into your hardware. You can find it in iTunes. When you plug your iPad into iTunes, click on the serial number beside the picture of your iPad. It will change to your UDID

Most reactions

Latest posts