What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there any chance of imac help !

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
suz26 said:
Thanks Gabriel1 I can see this bootable copy is going to be a nice safety thing to have. I have started looking for step by step instructions and E How has some using super duper, so when I get it all sorted in my head I will attempt . I can see it's something really worth learning how to do. Watch this space I will post when I have succeeded 

Like most things it really is a lot easier than it originally sounds, super duper is super easy to run........but if you run into any problems then please let me know and I'll try to guide you through the process.

The Archangel

OP
Macette

Macette

iPF Novice
Reaction score
suz26 said:
Thanks Gabriel1 I can see this bootable copy is going to be a nice safety thing to have. I have started looking for step by step instructions and E How has some using super duper, so when I get it all sorted in my head I will attempt . I can see it's something really worth learning how to do. Watch this space I will post when I have succeeded 

Woooohoooo I have done it !! Made my bootable copy of snow leopard HD. I used super duper but first I formatted my ext hd into two partitions the first one was in that GUID that's where I put snow leopard clone and the second one I was not sure what type of format to do so used the Apple partition map for that, hope that was right. I can tell you I was scared ridged in case something went wrong. Then I tested the bootable copy and started up from it. Another tense moment sweat was breaking. But it worked PHEWWW. Now can I just use the second partition to store copies of iphoto folder and music I buy ? The next big step is to download Lion I'm now stressed about that should I wait a bit longer has there been some hiccups ? This has been an all new experience for me thank you and Poser for the help.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
suz26 said:
Woooohoooo I have done it !! Made my bootable copy of snow leopard HD. I used super duper but first I formatted my ext hd into two partitions the first one was in that GUID that's where I put snow leopard clone and the second one I was not sure what type of format to do so used the Apple partition map for that, hope that was right. I can tell you I was scared ridged in case something went wrong. Then I tested the bootable copy and started up from it. Another tense moment sweat was breaking. But it worked PHEWWW. Now can I just use the second partition to store copies of iphoto folder and music I buy ? The next big step is to download Lion I'm now stressed about that should I wait a bit longer has there been some hiccups ? This has been an all new experience for me thank you and Poser for the help.

Yes, use the other partition for whatever you want.

You are good to go to download Lion, if you do have any hiccups then you can always boot back into snow leopard.

Sounds like you are a power user now......we'll be looking to you for help from now on!

You may want to join the Apple Mac forum which is affiliated with this one at appleforums.net where many have lion running already and can help with any issues.

The Archangel

OP
Macette

Macette

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Yes, use the other partition for whatever you want.

You are good to go to download Lion, if you do have any hiccups then you can always boot back into snow leopard.

Sounds like you are a power user now......we'll be looking to you for help from now on!

You may want to join the Apple Mac forum which is affiliated with this one at appleforums.net where many have lion running already and can help with any issues.

The Archangel

The jokes are good Gabriel1 power user hahaha. Have joined the apple forums.net saw you there lol no doubt you will be answering more of my problems wasn't sure if you could use this forums name so I have a new one hahaha thanks again 

OP
Macette

Macette

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Poser said:
i see you didn't mention doing backups!!!

Dear Poser, I really haven't a lot to back up, just photos and the odd song I down load and I suppose my iCal entries. I don't think time machine is really necessary for me, I would have to donate chunk of my mac hd or a huge lump of an external when really all I'm worried about is my photos. What do you recommend when I don't use the mac for work ?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
suz26 said:
Dear Poser, I really haven't a lot to back up, just photos and the odd song I down load and I suppose my iCal entries. I don't think time machine is really necessary for me, I would have to donate chunk of my mac hd or a huge lump of an external when really all I'm worried about is my photos. What do you recommend when I don't use the mac for work ?

Are you the mac polisher on the other forum? (Macette)

Always, always, always make backups, there are so many horror stories of HD's crashing in both PC's and Mac's and you would be surprised how the smallest, most innocuous thing is suddenly the centre of your world as you have now lost it!

Ok, a few backup rules......

Never backup to your internal HD, if your HD crashes then you lose everything and your backup.

Your bootable clone, in effect is a backup of where you are now. However......as you have now updated it is not a real backup anymore.

Storage is cheap, really cheap right now so worth investing and getting an automated routine up and running! Base the size of your backup HD's on the size of your internal HD, if your internal is 320GB then that should also be the smallest size of ext HD to buy for backing up.

Pick a reliable brand of external HD, plenty of reviews out there, I use Western Digital.

I seem to recall that once you make a bootable clone with Super Duper you can make regular automated incremental backups, these are quick to do and can manage themselves when you are asleep.

I am super safety cautious, I have cloned backups of everything......then I have another external HD in the chain which backs up all of my other backups. This may or may not be over the top!

You don't have to make cloned backups, there are other methods but with a clone, if your internal HD fails you are up and running almost instantly, seamlessly......so for me it is my favourite.

I always use Super Duper.......that's probably because I am so used to it........I am certain that Time Machine is just as good.

The Archangel

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't use my Mac for work, but I spent countless hours on doing this and doing that, which means my Mac is pimped out, from adding a lot of apps, settings, pimped my safari, itunes, added users, many more to list, etc etc......what would happen if something went wrong, or if I lose my Mac, everything I did and prob can't remember what, is gone. Now with me having a backup, nothing to worry about, cause if I get a replacement, or just had to start over, I get to continue from my backup, exactly how it was.

I did a lot of stuff to mine, I would be lost if I don't have a backup.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Poser said:
I don't use my Mac for work, but I spent countless hours on doing this and doing that, which means my Mac is pimped out, from adding a lot of apps, settings, pimped my safari, itunes, added users, many more to list, etc etc......what would happen if something went wrong, or if I lose my Mac, everything I did and prob can't remember what, is gone. Now with me having a backup, nothing to worry about, cause if I get a replacement, or just had to start over, I get to continue from my backup, exactly how it was.

I did a lot of stuff to mine, I would be lost if I don't have a backup.

Amen to that......Poser, why am I always scared when I see your avatar......saying that it is quite cool!

The Archangel

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Would just add that the Lion install is one of the easiest I've ever done.
Smooth download.
Clicked on the install pages and wandered off to make coffee, play with the cats. Returned to a blank screen and thought damn it's crashed...

Then bang my desktop came up and the new gestures video started playing.

That was it.
Everything working perfectly.
A definite improvement on Snow Leopard.
Frankly unless you have essential legacy software there's no reason not to upgrade.

OP
Macette

Macette

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You guys are as scary as your avatars, I will have sleepless nights worrying about backups. My clone is the first backup I have ever made besides putting photos on an ext. I will get there guys. I will Sit on the naughty step and repeat one hundred times I must make backups. The Archangel must be physic yes the polishing Macette is right, how did you know that ? I still don't know my way around that forum, this one is much easier to find your way around. I really want to download Lion now but very worried it won't go right so I will hang back a few more days to see how the land lies. See what a big chicken I am lol.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
suz26 said:
You guys are as scary as your avatars, I will have sleepless nights worrying about backups. My clone is the first backup I have ever made besides putting photos on an ext. I will get there guys. I will Sit on the naughty step and repeat one hundred times I must make backups. The Archangel must be physic yes the polishing Macette is right, how did you know that ? I still don't know my way around that forum, this one is much easier to find your way around. I really want to download Lion now but very worried it won't go right so I will hang back a few more days to see how the land lies. See what a big chicken I am lol.

Psychic, hmm, you may be right.......or it could be that I've only spotted a couple of you girlies over there and the other one is Sweet Poison. That forum is in the early embryonic stage at the moment, give it a few months and I'm sure that it will be buzzing like this one.

Really, you should go for Lion, you have a bootable version of where you are currently so you are as safe as houses........go on, you know you want to!

The Archangel

OP
Macette

Macette

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Psychic, hmm, you may be right.......or it could be that I've only spotted a couple of you girlies over there and the other one is Sweet Poison. That forum is in the early embryonic stage at the moment, give it a few months and I'm sure that it will be buzzing like this one.

Really, you should go for Lion, you have a bootable version of where you are currently so you are as safe as houses........go on, you know you want to!

The Archangel

I am preparing myself for the big download. I saw on one of my sites to uninstall macFuse I have seen it on my mac have not got a clue what it's for. Anyway says it can only be uninstalled while I have snow leopard. Do u know of anything else I should uninstall ? Is it difficult to take macFuse off? Any info much appreciated 

Most reactions

Latest posts