What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there any android device which have a retina display or something like that.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, love Amazon for its flexibility across platforms.

I'm surprised the thick skin on the 8.9" was a deterrent -- the skin hasn't changed in thickness (very thick) from original to newer models. If you had the original, did you think they'd thin the skin on newer models? I figure it's the Amazon way, like with Apple, to limit things for ease of use and reliability. Like with iOS, restraints mean convenience for some users.

I just thought the new features might be something I could deal with (not to mention that $50 discount they had)....big screen, HD, better speakers. In the end, it wasn't enough. With my Apple device, I felt like I had more options, and many many more apps to make the possibilities much greater. With that Kindle skin, it was just the same old thing. Heck, I had to jump hoops just to get my 63-character wifi string in so I could get on my main network. My Fire is still on my guest network, where I have a simple password. Just not my style...and I wanted an Android tablet, which, IMO, the Amazons and Nooks are not, though others seem to consider them to be.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I can make a choice to do a thing, then my freedom is not limited. I just have to work within the framework provided. Freedom doesn't imply I have an infinite number of ways to do a thing.

iOS is based upon a paradigm. Apps own files. It's a fundamental, innate choice on OS design. Trying to make iOS into Android is silly. If you want Android, get Android. If you want ports, get the device that gives you that (even though they are fading fast). If you can't live with the 275000+ apps to try, then get Android and get the same apps from Amazon or the web. iOS isn't going to improve by becoming Android. Some say that iOS is that it is the same OS it has always been and they seem to want it to change just to prevent boredom. There might actually be an advantage in having an OS which has basically been the same since its inception. Easy enough for a kid to pick it up and use it without any preconceived notions.

What you said could as easily apply to Amazon Fires -- it's a paradigm, lol. Yet that didn't keep you from buying and wanting more out of the 8.9".

With any OS , there's room for change, and it's a matter of how much change a company is willing to make in pursuit of profits. I figure Apple has within its power to overhaul if enough market pressure is applied, especially now that Steve Jobs is gone.

It'd be nice if there were more options in the marketplace. I considered an MS Surface, for instance, but ended up holding off to see whether key functions I want will emerge.

I don't think it should be customers vs. customers saying, hey if you don't like what I like or prioritize as I do, you can take a hike. As we see on many threads, many of our preferences overlap, and also diverge. I figure we can discuss differences and still have things in common. It would be freaky if all of us marched in lockstep.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What you said could as easily apply to Amazon Fires -- it's a paradigm, lol. Yet that didn't keep you from buying and wanting more out of the 8.9".

With any OS , there's room for change, and it's a matter of how much change a company is willing to make in pursuit of profits. I figure Apple has within its power to overhaul if enough market pressure is applied, especially now that Steve Jobs is gone.

It'd be nice if there were more options in the marketplace. I considered an MS Surface, for instance, but ended up holding off to see whether key functions I want will emerge.

I don't think it should be customers vs. customers saying, hey if you don't like what I like or prioritize as I do, you can take a hike. As we see on many threads, many of our preferences overlap, and also diverge. I figure we can discuss differences and still have things in common. It would be freaky if all of us marched in lockstep.

Hey, if folks are happy with the Amazon, more power to them. It's a good value....but I couldn't deal with it, so I sent it back. I could not find a way to get that 63-character string into the password slot without typing it is. It's like they didn't give me any option I could find to do that. Too much skin.

As you know, I'm willing to use all of these things. I just don't see a reason to say that iOS should be more like Android. I enjoy both OSes. I'd much rather see apple perfect iOS than to see them add a file manager to it, as an example. I'd rather have faster wifi transfers than to go back to using ports and wires. About the only time I don't mind loading up an SD card is when I'm getting ready to travel....but most of the time I'd rather use wifi and the cloud.

I'm not sure where you hang out on the web, but there is a LOT of OS hate out there..and most of it is directed toward iOS, not Android.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, if folks are happy with the Amazon, more power to them. It's a good value....but I couldn't deal with it, so I sent it back. I could not find a way to get that 63-character string into the password slot without typing it is. It's like they didn't give me any option I could find to do that. Too much skin.

As you know, I'm willing to use all of these things. I just don't see a reason to say that iOS should be more like Android. I enjoy both OSes. I'd much rather see apple perfect iOS than to see them add a file manager to it, as an example. I'd rather have faster wifi transfers than to go back to using ports and wires. About the only time I don't mind loading up an SD card is when I'm getting ready to travel....but most of the time I'd rather use wifi and the cloud.

I'm not sure where you hang out on the web, but there is a LOT of OS hate out there..and most of it is directed toward iOS, not Android.

I've seen the crazy hate, so don't hang much in such places. I usually just google when I want an answer, read what's needed and move on. This is one of the few places online where people can discuss different platforms and compare, which is one of the reasons it's a great forum.

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is one of the few places online where people can discuss different platforms and compare, which is one of the reasons it's a great forum.
Spot On ...and couldn't agree more.
As someone who owns a number of Tablets, finding the right forum was difficult. I love using all my platform Tablets, therefore if I need to mention one particular model for one reason or another I don't expect snide remarks.
In my limited time here I have found the majority of members to most accommodating and friendly, truly a sign of maturity.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Spot On ...and couldn't agree more.
As someone who owns a number of Tablets, finding the right forum was difficult. I love using all my platform Tablets, therefore if I need to mention one particular model for one reason or another I don't expect snide remarks.
In my limited time here I have found the majority of members to most accommodating and friendly, truly a sign of maturity.

I like my different tabs for diff reasons, too.

I got my Samsung Galaxy Tab so I could easily load movies via SD card for travel, for instance. I don't want to be limited to using iTunes and synching via only a designated computer.

I use my Kindle Fire HDs mostly to stream movies, read books and listen to audiobooks when at home. For me, having a thicker skin works great for those uses. I especially love the Prime movie app when watching series, because it has a next episode button, which is lacking on the iPad version for some reason. The Fire carousel works well for my most recently used books and audiobooks, because I tend to have several going at the same time, and alternate depending on mood.

For my primary browsing, full-size iPads work best for me. And on the go, I love my Samsung Galaxy Note 5", because it lets me carry one device for calls as well as everything else.

The screens are comparable on all these devices for my needs, except for the Galaxy Tab 7, which is inferior. I figure I will upgrade that sooner than later.

Last edited:
OP
D

dreamerdonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Too many opinion, thanks for that. By the way I am happy with my only iPad and my friend like her new Fire. Thanks god I took my decision earlier. Otherwise I will have to buy all the tablet for her that are available on the market :D

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ergo, "never fall in love with a stock."

I enjoyed the back and forth. Thanks for the feedback.

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

I once fell in love with Megahertz stock. When we went public and everyone was given shares, I was like a giddy school girl with a deep abiding love affair. A man/stock/profit crush if you will.

I also fell in love with Harley-Davidson and I bought because I love the little piece of paper that tells you I own a piece of history and a piece of the company. Also, any stock that doubles in value, splits and doubles again and perhaps again, I will sleep with to be sure. I love long term gains, too.

I guess I could find myself a girlfriend, but in my experience, that often amounts to long term losses. It is generally not her but me, if their collective Twitter Feeds and Face Book pages are any indication. But FB is such a liar.

Any stock that returns a dividend year after year is aces. I will kiss it all over the place.

I fondle the certificates and they return love in the form of cash. After the tax man taketh away, I still love them.

So it is OK.

If they disappoint me however, I will sell their sorry arses in a heart-beat. My love stops with the losses.

ShortBus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Samsung galaxy tab 10.1 and iPad 4... And my phone is a Samsung galaxy s3. I love android OS and how quick the developers are to root a device. And when u root usually u get updates before they are released. Unlike jailbreak it seems to be one release behind.

But the Eco-system for the iPad is no comparison. The apps and easy sync to iTunes. The apps are a million times better for iOS. I have yet to figure out why this is.

I love my android devices. The endless options for customization and tweaks really make android stand out. It's really all in what works best for you. I want a nexus 10 to replace my galaxy tab.

Some people swear up and down the apple devices are more fluid and smooth than android. But I don't see it. I get instant responses on android tablets. Granted the galaxy tab is slower than my iPad but that's expected since its older tech. But general movement flipping from screen to screen to another or pulling the notification bar down (up on tabs) or launching the app drawer I don't notice any lag.

Another thing is the launcher on android. Endless widgets and live wallpapers. Unfortunately not a stock feature of iOS.

I don't think I'll ever own just one type of device. I'm glad to see there's not any android bashers in this thread. Good civilized discussion.

Most reactions

Latest posts