What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there an app for showing a slideshow and a video side by side?

fbherr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, just found this forum today and am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction. I have a client who wants to show both a video and a slideshow on his iPad simultaneously. Not web content, but his own photos and videos. Is there such an app?

Thanks in advance for any tips or recommendations.

- Frank

d3mha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quick office pro had maybe? For the image presentation just like PowerPoint

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and Welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a Community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the IPad.
There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions that you have. If then you can't find the answer you are seeking, then by all means post your question. You will find many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - Discussion Forum for IPad Users It is a very simple app to navigate.
Reading the iPad Manuals is a great place to start, so please download a copy of these http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the iPad
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us. Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
F

fbherr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks very much for that warm welcome Leelai! I look forward to getting to know this forum AND the iPad better in the coming months!

Best regards.
- Frank

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Frank - welcome to the forum! :)

You pose an interesting question and not sure that I have an answer, but if there is then I'd be curious!

Of course, one option is to run 2 different apps on the iPad, one doing the slideshow & the other the video, but unfortunately that is not possible (although I cannot address a 'jailbroken' device) on the iPad; plus I believe that when playing video, multi-tasking (vs. audio) is an issue?

So, the question is whether an app exists that can incorporate both a slideshow & a video? I do have Keynote on my iPad2 (updated to iOS 5.0.1) and out of curiosity, I made a short video of my den and was able to paste it into a trial Keynote presentation (see attached pic) - put the video on the first slide and it does play, but not sure if there is a feature to 'transition' into the next slide? And not clear if your client needs the video and the slides to be in some kind of synchronization?

Well, not much help - but there are plenty of threads/posts on office apps, so a little searching might help; and hopefully others who have 'faced' this very issue may be able to chime in - good luck and please post back if you find an answer!

PowerPt_Video.jpg

Last edited:

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Frank,

Giradman has an imaginative approach above. I'm impressed with his insight and effort. I suspect, however, that the coordination of the slides and video may turn out to be a major challenge, assuming that's a requirement. The iPad's multitasking capabilities are limited at best. And the tools to create the kind of content you're looking for, while impressive for the iPad's limited processing power, are inherently limited.

So if you hit a roadblock, as I suspect you might, you may want to consider another approach, altogether. For example, if the central requirement is the display of the combined content on the iPad (rather than its creation there) you may want to consider an app like LogMeIn or Splashtop that would enable you (or your client) to run the slideshow/video content on a PC or Mac and simply display it on the iPad. That, of course, assumes an internet connection to the host system but if that's not a dealbreaker, it may be a more direct route to meeting the client's needs.

Last edited:
OP
F

fbherr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks very much for your suggestions and your test, giradman! That's an interesting idea. I think you're right that the multitasking limitations of the iPad may prevent my client from achieving the exact result he wants. I have been looking around and so far haven't found any other solutions, but I will definitely post again if I do find something. It's kind of a specialized need, so in one sense I'm not surprised that no one has built an app for that specific purpose yet - not sure how many other people have a need to show a movie and a slideshow simultaneously, side by side, on an iPad.

- Frank

Last edited:
OP
F

fbherr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's a great workaround jsh1120, thanks very much for the idea, and for the tip about LogMeIn or Splashtop. I'll definitely suggest this to my client.

That also gives me the idea that if his setup does not include an Internet connection, maybe he could still run the simultaneous slideshow and video on a Mac/PC as you suggest, and use something like Camtasia to record the result, and then play that Camtasia-recorded video on his iPad. Not the easiest solution, but it might also give him what he needs.

Thanks again to everyone for your helpful suggestions.

- Frank

Mzakesman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
fbherr said:
Hello, just found this forum today and am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction. I have a client who wants to show both a video and a slideshow on his iPad simultaneously. Not web content, but his own photos and videos. Is there such an app?

Thanks in advance for any tips or recommendations.

- Frank

...there's this App called Videolicious, available on the App Store (I use it myself) does just that & more... U'll thank me later
U'll see

Most reactions

Latest posts