What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a way to unjailbreak my iPad 3 without updating to iOS 6?

Alex234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to update my iPad 3, running iOS 5.1.1 and using Absinthe jailbreak, to iOS 6. Is there an alternate way to unjailbreak without my iPad updating? I tried to use TinyUmbrella but it's not downloading onto my windows 7 computer. Thanks!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not currently.

The next version of redsn0w, which has been announced by the dev-team but not released yet, will allow you to reinstall IOS 5.1.1 if you have saved blobs (which you should have on Cydia if you are jailbroken).

So you can either restore to 6.0 today, or wait a while for a 5.1.1 solution. We don't know when that will be. It should be soon, but could be days or even weeks.

Hope that helps.

OP
A

Alex234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, I want to update to iOS 6. When I press "Restore" on iTunes, it asks to restore and update. When I did, it seemed like it was downloading iOS 6 instead of restoring first. My question is will iTunes download iOS 6 and add it to my iPad before restoring it, saying there is an error because of the Jailbreak or will it download iOS 6 onto my computer, restore my iPad and then add iOS 6?

OP
A

Alex234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, I want to update to iOS 6. When I press "Restore" on iTunes, it asks to restore and update. When I did, it seemed like it was downloading iOS 6 instead of restoring first. My question is will iTunes download iOS 6 and add it to my iPad before restoring it, saying there is an error because of the Jailbreak or will it download iOS 6 onto my computer, restore my iPad and then add iOS 6?
This is URGENT because I'm about to go somewhere. I don't want to "restore and update" before I leave and then when I come home, 3 hours where wasted because iTunes didn't restore my iPad. Thank you!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The thing is I can't download TinyUmbrella cause it's not downloading on my computer for some reason. Is there another way?

Did you read it? Step 2 of the tutorial lays out an alternative, under the section that starts "Alternatively...." ;)

You just need to make sure there is no reference to gs.apple.com in your hosts file.

OP
A

Alex234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, if I try iTunes, it won't restore my iPad first? Or will iTunes restore my iPad then add iOS 6 to it?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As the guide says quite clearly at the top...

If you haven't tried yet, simply connect your device to iTunes and press "restore". 99% of the time this will succeed!

No matter what you do you must "restore". That is the process of putting IOS on the device. Since you were jailbroken, that is the correct process.

OP
A

Alex234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As the guide says quite clearly at the top...

No matter what you do you must "restore". That is the process of putting IOS on the device. Since you were jailbroken, that is the correct process.
well, I tried to restore, but when it was downloading iOS 6, iTunes said there was an error. I'm going to try your guide. Thank you for your help

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
well, I tried to restore, but when it was downloading iOS 6, iTunes said there was an error. I'm going to try your guide. Thank you for your help

No problem. Good luck (and the guide should help resolve that particular problem).

OP
A

Alex234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not currently.

The next version of redsn0w, which has been announced by the dev-team but not released yet, will allow you to reinstall IOS 5.1.1 if you have saved blobs (which you should have on Cydia if you are jailbroken).

So you can either restore to 6.0 today, or wait a while for a 5.1.1 solution. We don't know when that will be. It should be soon, but could be days or even weeks.

Hope that helps.
I know this post is old, but what happens if I don't have a saved blob? I accidently deleted it off my computer.

Most reactions