What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a way to "steal" 3g internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am new to the forum and new to ipad, so I am still trying to explore
My question is "is there a way to sort of steal 3g internet connection in case of emergency?"
I am in college so it has wifi everywhere and I really don't need internet connection all the time, so I opt for the 32gb wifi only ipad, but I am thinking what if I am out on a road trip and got stuck and just need internet connection to find the nearest hotel so I can stay for the night kinda situation, any method to work around it?
I have an iphone but it does not have 3g either, so tethering won't work, and that's why I ask if there's any way to "steal" it or not

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Is this a serious question? In an emergency you use your phone and call someone.

How about you buy a Mifi? Just in case you run into an emergency, where you are stuck and need to find a hotel.

There is no way to get 3G Internet access, if none of your devices can connect to 3g.

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As you have an iPhone then you must have Internet connection on that.......so why not use safari on the iPhone in an emergency.

Even if you could do what you are asking, it is almost certainly going to illegal and therefore you wouldn't want to be discussing it here.......I assume that you have read the forum rules?

The Archangel

OP
R

rainman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea...kinda...I am planning a trip so I have been wondering about that, but I am only out on trips twice a year, so I don't think its worthwhile to pay all that extra for 3g
I guess what I am thinking is, my iphone has the "ability" to connect to 3g, it's just that I have not subscribed the services, so I don't know whether there would be a hack for it?

Reaction score
rainman said:
Yea...kinda...I am planning a trip so I have been wondering about that, but I am only out on trips twice a year, so I don't think its worthwhile to pay all that extra for 3g
I guess what I am thinking is, my iphone has the "ability" to connect to 3g, it's just that I have not subscribed the services, so I don't know whether there would be a hack for it?

No. There is no way of getting access to 3G without paying.

Why not get a prepaid card for the times you need inet access on your phone?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rainman said:

So what you are saying is......that you want 3G on your iPhone but you don't want to pay for it......is that correct?

The Archangel

OP
R

rainman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As you have an iPhone then you must have Internet connection on that.......so why not use safari on the iPhone in an emergency.

Even if you could do what you are asking, it is almost certainly going to illegal and therefore you wouldn't want to be discussing it here.......I assume that you have read the forum rules?

The Archangel

I am not sure if it would be a cydia tweak kinda thing

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If it wasn't impossible it would be against the forum rules to discuss. Thread closed.

Max

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.maxtatau.com
Hey guys,

I am new to the forum and new to ipad, so I am still trying to explore
My question is "is there a way to sort of steal 3g internet connection in case of emergency?"
I am in college so it has wifi everywhere and I really don't need internet connection all the time, so I opt for the 32gb wifi only ipad, but I am thinking what if I am out on a road trip and got stuck and just need internet connection to find the nearest hotel so I can stay for the night kinda situation, any method to work around it?
I have an iphone but it does not have 3g either, so tethering won't work, and that's why I ask if there's any way to "steal" it or not

Thanks in advance

You mean a way to piggyback (be careful using the word "steal" on the forum) on somebody else's 3G, just like open wifi networks?

The answer is nope, unless you see somebody that's tethering off their phone and ask them to use their network for a minute in trade for a cup of coffee (or whatever).

Or like DUMI suggested, get a portable hotspot like mifi alternatively call 411!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts