What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is There a Way to Spoof Device Model Reporting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Carthaginian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TL;DR This FREE app I am fiddling around with requires iOS 5+ but it also requires Ipad 2 or later, the app appears to send a request to the device asking it what model it is, I want to know if there is a way to have the device report back that it is an Ipad 2 (or later) to circumvent this request.

I have messed around with this app extensively and I have successfully installed it and got it working on an iPhone 4S even though this app specifically is only released on the Ipad, and cannot under normal circumstances be run on an iPhone. I know for a fact at one point people had this app working on iPad 1, however there is not much information about it online. The reason I mention this is because it is NOT A RESOURCE AVAILABILITY issue regarding this app being run on iPad 1, the developers have decided to only allow iPad 2 or later for performance reasons but I know for a fact the app will still run on iPad 1.

I am not asking how to upgrade to iOS 6 on iPad 1 or anything like that, because I know you cant do that, nor do I even want to. I am just curious if there is a way to spoof being an iPad 2 when apps ask my device what model it is. Similar to how in Windows you can edit the registry so that when a program asks the computer what date it is it tells it a false date.

I just need a way for my iPad 1 to report that it is an iPad 2, I do not actually need to have the resources of an iPad 2 or even have iOS 6.0, so is there a way to do this? I know there has to be.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As far as I know, there's no way to spoof the Apple servers in the App Store to fool them into believing you have an iPad 2 when it's actually an iPad 1. There's also no way to get Apple to believe your iPad 1 is on iOS 6 when it's actually on iOS 5.1.1. If you want the app, you're going to have to upgrade to a newer iPad.

BTW, it's not an iPad only app, it also works on iPhones and iPods, according to the listing in the App Store.

Last edited:
OP
The Carthaginian

The Carthaginian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as I know, there's no way to spoof the Apple servers in the App Store to fool them into believing you have an iPad 2 when it's actually an iPad 1. There's also no way to get Apple to believe your iPad 1 is on iOS 6 when it's actually on iOS 5.1.1. If you want the app, you're going to have to upgrade to a newer iPad.

BTW, it's not an iPad only app, it also works on iPhones and iPods, according to the listing in the App Store.

Thanks for your reply, but you are not correct. First off it is an iPad only app, I never mentioned what app I was talking about so I am curious how you would come to the conclusion that "it isnt an iPad only app". The very first line in App Store states:

Description
Requires an Internet connection and iPad 2 or better.

Beyond that I know for a fact it is an iPad only app because I am an active member of the community for the app and it is a huge complaint that the app doesnt have an iPhone version (currently in development). Thirdly I know for a fact that it is an iPad only app because I had to crack the .ipa myself and change the device restriction files to get it to work on the iPhone 4S. I know this forum isnt about cracking apps so I didnt mention that in my original post, but I am 100% sure that the app is iPad only.

Regarding the device spoofing, I am not trying to spoof the Apple servers. I already have the app loaded and installed on my iPad 1, and it launches just fine, however once it is loaded it takes you to a splash screen within the app stating you need an iPad 2 or later. I was wondering what system file the app is looking at to determine what device I am running, and was hoping to edit that system file to return a value that matches the iPad 2.

However after more investigation I did last night, I think what the developers have done is make a startup check for system RAM size and if it returns a value < 512mb then it sends you to that splash screen saying you need an iPad 2 or later. This is the reason that it works on the iPhone 4s but not the iPad 1, even though in the .ipa file I have enabled it to run on all 3gs or later devices.

So I have come to the conclusion that I need to further alter the app I am using, which I guess is outside the scope of this forum.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're correct, talking about cracked apps is outside the scope of this forum. We will not help you in any efforts involving cracking apps or in getting those cracked apps to run on any of your devices. Cracking apps is akin to piracy and theft and any discussion involving them will not be allowed. You will receive no further help here.

BTW, you mentioned the name of the app in the first line of your first post.

With that, this thread is now closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions