What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a way to make your screen double tap only?

Bell diver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At work with a terribly slow Internet connection. When trying to navigate safari if I tap something it starts to take me to another page and even more time is lost. Can you set it up so you can scroll and such but to select a link you must double tap???

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm afraid the only thing you can do is set Safari to "Open Tabs In Background." That way, if you touch a link, you won't leave the page you are on; another tab will open (which you can go to and close it, should you wish). Oh, and you won't be switched to that new tab, you'll still be on the original one you were viewing.

To change to that process, go to the Safari tab in your Settings app and turn ON that "Open Tabs In Background" line.

Hope that helps. Sorry, but there's nothing else.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Another trick that helps is to practice scrolling by swiping your finger (moving as it touches the screen) , not setting it down and then moving it. Or just learn not to put your finger down on linked text; not always practical on some poorly designed sites.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Big hands is one of the reasons I'm hesitant to go for a Mini next time. Still, the extra portability is awfully tempting.

lowertech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Big hands is one of the reasons I'm hesitant to go for a Mini next time. Still, the extra portability is awfully tempting.

One word: Stylus! I love them... no double-key hits and no or fewer smudges! :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
One word: Stylus! I love them... no double-key hits and no or fewer smudges! :)

I like a stylus when I'm doing something that I would normally do with a pen. Otherwise, I don't want the inconvenience of digging out a tool to use my device. Just my take on it. They aren't that hard to wipe off.

That said, I'm constantly looking over new styluses for that might fill the pen-like roll. So far I'm torn between two Adonit pens. The pressure sensitive Jot with the clear disk tip, and their newest collaboration with Evernote, a small tipped device that looks remarkably like a ball point pen, tip and all. It's not pressure sensitive, which is the only reason I'm still considering the older model. At about $80 dollars (both of them) I've never quite crossed the threshold of purchase; because I can't justify the expense for the few pen-like things I use my iPad (not-Mini) for.

Most reactions