What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a way to get mobile hotspot?

Fataliya

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If they dont have any 3g? My phone is Verizon, but I want AT&T. Do they sell some sort of mobile hotspot thing that I can hook up to the iPad2?

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The phone should be able to hotspot or wirelessly tether. Depends on the phone. Once u decide what phone u want, let us know and will be able to give more details on it. That's what a lot of people do now, forgetting the 3G version of iPad and getting the wifi only version then tethering it to their phones. Saves u a ton of cash in the short and long term. I tether my win mo phone to my iPad and wrks flawlessly. When I'm at home, I use my com cast high speed wireless network.

OP
F

Fataliya

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Droid 2 with Verizon. I dont want to get a new phone, just curious if AT&T sells something similar to Verizons MiFi that I can use for the iPad 2?

Thanks so much!

jhood2323

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Demandarin said:
The phone should be able to hotspot or wirelessly tether. Depends on the phone. Once u decide what phone u want, let us know and will be able to give more details on it. That's what a lot of people do now, forgetting the 3G version of iPad and getting the wifi only version then tethering it to their phones. Saves u a ton of cash in the short and long term. I tether my win mo phone to my iPad and wrks flawlessly. When I'm at home, I use my com cast high speed wireless network.

Did u get your ipad2 yet

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wolfpuppies must have one of those new fangled "easy" buttons.....gotta get one of those...:D

geoffthedad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Droid 2 with Verizon. I dont want to get a new phone, just curious if AT&T sells something similar to Verizons MiFi that I can use for the iPad 2?

Thanks so much!
You should be able to tether you D2 with the ipad2 via VZW's tethering. Look for an app called 3g Mobile Hotspot in the market place.

I haven't used it on the D2 but it is a program via VZW. I did use it on my Droid X with my iPad. I did pay VZW's tether option on my plan though, so it's not free but works great!

Good Luck

Reaction score
Geoffthedad,
Do you buy 30 day buckets like ATT 3G iPad plans?
I'm going to be using my Inc for a hotspot but if if ends at 30 or so I'm going to wait until I need it vs trying it out now. My wife has one with the ATT 3G so I'm familiar with how theirs works, just wondering if mobile hotspot with Verizon works the same.
Thank you

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

geoffthedad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Geoffthedad,
I'm going to be using my Inc for a hotspot but if if ends at 30 or so I'm going to wait until I need it vs trying it out now. My wife has one with the ATT 3G so I'm familiar with how theirs works, just wondering if mobile hotspot with Verizon works the same.
Thank you

Mark, I have turned the wifi hotspot on and off through VZW customer service line for short periods of time. IE: 3 day trip, call and get it active. When I get home, I call and cancel it. Then I get billed a prorated amount for the month. It is truly a month to month deal. No contract with it.

Enjoy tethering legitimately!

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks so much!
You should be able to tether you D2 with the ipad2 via VZW's tethering. Look for an app called 3g Mobile Hotspot in the market place.

I haven't used it on the D2 but it is a program via VZW. I did use it on my Droid X with my iPad. I did pay VZW's tether option on my plan though, so it's not free but works great!

Good Luck

exactly what I was trying to say. Why waste the extra $$$ for nuthin when ur droid 2 can do that exact same function..just sayin..lol

Gmenfan83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could always root your droid 2 which is a simple process and use wifi tether or the 3G hotspot hack ,,,,it's what I do with my x

Dvmpiper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any ideas for doing this with a BB torch? I have 4.3 iOS on my wifi iPad. I was hoping the upgrade would allow it to connect to any phone that has a data plan. I use ATT.

Gmenfan83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any ideas for doing this with a BB torch? I have 4.3 iOS on my wifi iPad. I was hoping the upgrade would allow it to connect to any phone that has a data plan. I use ATT.

Go to crackberry.com and search the forums for the torch,,,,I believe it is able to run hotspot like a droid but if possible and you wanted it free you would have to hack your torch

k7lvo

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just a reminder: The iPads without 3G don't have a GPS, either. That made the decision for me. It's quite likely that I'll tether to my iPhone and not activate the 3G on my iPad, but I want the GPS.

BTW, I have to chuckle. The forum's spell checker recognizes "iPhone" but not "iPad."

Reaction score
Geoffthedad,
Thank you

Mark, I have turned the wifi hotspot on and off through VZW customer service line for short periods of time. IE: 3 day trip, call and get it active. When I get home, I call and cancel it. Then I get billed a prorated amount for the month. It is truly a month to month deal. No contract with it.

Enjoy tethering legitimately!

Thank you. My screen broke on my wifi one (see thread called screen spider web I started) so I took it back to Target but they were out of wifi only so I got a 3G ATT version. I know Verizon coverage is great around Luray/Front Royal Va areas and ATT is better at my house ( Verizon 3G sucks badddd at my house and surrounding area) so if when I'm in the Luray area if ATT sucks I'll just hotspot and save the $15-25 for ATT data plan.
Thank you very much

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

Most reactions