What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a way to connect my 3g phoe with my ipad 2

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way to connect my wifi only iPad 2 to my 3G iPhone?

It depends on whether your 3G 'phone can support a 'personal hotspot' as some Android and iPhones can. Then your 'phone can broadcast a WiFi signal that your iPad can connect to and use to access the Internet. Of course, the data that your iPad uses will be charged to your 'phone data plan, but that's what you'd expect.

There's no way to connect your 'phone to your iPad by USB though

Tim
Scotland

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3G phones probably don't even have the speed to compete with an iPad 2, with what? An A2 vs A5? Even jailbroken, my 3G struggled to open basic apple apps.

Reaction score
You will most likely need to jailbreak you 3G phone. And then install a tethering app, such as MyWi, or PDANet.

From what I understand, does MyWi only support Adhoc wifi networks, which the iPad cannot join. PDANet also only creates Adhoc networks.

Anyway, if you want to use wifi tethering, you will need to jailbreak both devices and install either of the above mentioned apps on both devices. Then simply create the same wireless network on both (same Name and password). It is slightly anoying to tether both, as it drains the battery quickly.

The only alternative is to just tether the phone and then tether via Bluetooth through one of the apps.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MyMi works fine from an iPhone to iPad 2. And you most certainly do not need to jailbreak the iPad 2 to use it. Only jailbreak the iPhone to install MyWi.

In addition, don't worry about the speed comments mentioned above. The iPhone 3G is fine for tethering... it's not running the iPad 2's apps, only feeding it Internet--a trivial task even for the iPhone 3G.

Michael

derpudel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am currently connecting via tethered wifi using my android phone and 3g. Works fine. Speeds are fine. It does not drain the battery on the tablet, just the phone, which I keep plugged into the charger while connected.

Most reactions

Latest posts