What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a terminal program app that will talk thru the acc port?

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is probably a long stretch, but I'm wondering if it's possible to communicate with an external USB device (like a modem) through the iPad's accessory port. (I have the iPad camera kit which adapts a USB cable to the port)..

I've searched for terminal programs at the App Store, but all they have are internet Apps like VNC, telnet and SSL etc..

PS.. I don't want to do any jailbreaking.. Thanks in advance.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I doubt this works with anything but the terminal app demonstrated, but it's interesting.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plFpnk576wQ[/ame]

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I can Google a few RS-232 cable hacks, and even someone who sells cable adaptors, but nothing like what you want for USB. More importantly it is going to be difficult to find apps that can take advantage of this stuff without joining the Jailbreak community.

As a very far fetched idea, you could always get/hack an RS-232 cable to iOS port adaptor and then use a RS-232 to USB adaptor. But if you could find an app that would let you do anything with it I'd be amazed.

OP
jwt873

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As a very far fetched idea, you could always get/hack an RS-232 cable to iOS port adaptor and then use a RS-232 to USB adaptor. But if you could find an app that would let you do anything with it I'd be amazed.

That's exactly what I was thinking.. Tough to do. I guess I'll wait for the iPad2.. It might have a port we can talk through. :)

simonchope

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - its called Get Console and its in the App store

The Get Console app uses the Redpark C2-RJ45 cable plugged into the 30 pin iPad port and provides a cutdown VT100 terminal emulation. Its designed primarily for network engineers to connect to the serial console ports of network gear with their iPads - but seems to work with other stuff. No Jailbreaking required.

You might need to get a DB9-RJ45 dongle if you want DB9 presentation. Search for get-console in google or "Cisco Serial" in the Itunes store.
Cheers
Simon

Most reactions

Latest posts