What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a secure delete of files innipad ? Or do they leave traces ?

ipad.subu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

In windows we secure delete files .... Basically overwrite them ... Etc and also ensure that they are NOT on the recycle bin. Is there something similar in iPad ?

Alternatively

how do you ensure that a file you deleted from iBooks is not left somewhere

Tia
Regards
Subu

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think anyone really knows. Because each app is "sandboxed", the files stay within the app's folders. So, I really don't know. :)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad's operating system iOS isolates files to an individual app, so other apps do not have access. So, for example, a book deleted from iBooks could not be read by another app because iOS does not allow one app access to another app's filespace. So it would not be possible, in a non-jailbroken iPad, to develop an app that could 'overwrite securely' another app's filespace - and neither could another app be used to retrieve those files.

If you're asking - at a hypothetical and theoretical level - 'does that deleted iBook still 'exist'?' then the answer is 'yes' and if you then ask 'could a very determined and skilled individual theoretically retrieve that deleted item?' then, again, the answer is 'yes'. But it's only likely that Government agencies etc have the necessary resources to be able to do that and so it's extremely unlikely that any such file could be recovered by a private individual.

Tim

OP
I

ipad.subu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
The iPad's operating system iOS isolates files to an individual app, so other apps do not have access. So, for example, a book deleted from iBooks could not be read by another app because iOS does not allow one app access to another app's filespace. So it would not be possible, in a non-jailbroken iPad, to develop an app that could 'overwrite securely' another app's filespace - and neither could another app be used to retrieve those files.

If you're asking - at a hypothetical and theoretical level - 'does that deleted iBook still 'exist'?' then the answer is 'yes' and if you then ask 'could a very determined and skilled individual theoretically retrieve that deleted item?' then, again, the answer is 'yes'. But it's only likely that Government agencies etc have the necessary resources to be able to do that and so it's extremely unlikely that any such file could be recovered by a private individual.

Tim

Thanks Tim

.... I've Got nothing to hide from the gumnt !!

Bjut whist happens if I sell the iPad ....return to someone else etc and is there some simple un delete key ...presto all deleted files are back

I alm talking of personal info ....or commercial info...

Tks
Subu

Most reactions

Latest posts