What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a free app like Windows Notepad?

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would like to have a free app that allows me to write and store some information locally on the iPad. For example, I would like to be able to record some information when I browse the Internet. I have an iPad 1. I don't want those Internet-connected ones like Evernote.

I don't know if I can use it check the data between copy and paste for one can only run one app at a time.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What about Notes? That's native and allows copy and paste. Or am I missing something?

Powered Player

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
What about Notes? That's native and allows copy and paste. Or am I missing something?

Kevin JS is correct, the "Notes" app should be built in into your iPad, Notes allows you to write information that you can later use like grocery list, names, locations, etc. and you can also copy and paste info so you won't forget anything. (you can copy and paste website names, log in information, passwords, etc.) So basically Notes is what your looking for, if you deleted it I'm not sure you can download it again. (Im positive you should be able to find it on the App Store if you deleted it).

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It can't be deleted, since its a native app. It could be hiding in a folder if OP can't see it.

Powered Player

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
It can't be deleted, since its a native app. It could be hiding in a folder if OP can't see it.

Lol I accidentally deleted an app on my iPod and it allowed me to delete it but I'm guessing it was a bug because the iPod somehow restored it :/

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I am new to iPad. I didn't notice it before. I brought it up but I couldn't add any note for some reason. I read the iPad user guide. I followed "Add a note: Tap , type the note, then tap Done." I tried to copy and paste but the paste command never came up until I got the keyboard up. I couldn't see the word Done. The keyboard stayed put until I tapped on Notes on the top left corner.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
healer said:
Thanks guys! I am new to iPad. I didn't notice it before. I brought it up but I couldn't add any note for some reason. I read the iPad user guide. I followed "Add a note: Tap , type the note, then tap Done." I tried to copy and paste but the paste command never came up until I got the keyboard up. I couldn't see the word Done. The keyboard stayed put until I tapped on Notes on the top left corner.

The Notes app is very simple to use.....I use it every day

I believe the Done tab is only seen on your iPhone and not the iPad.....there is no need to press any button once a note is typed, it will be preserved regardless.

The Notes tab top left will bring up your index of notes for selection. The + tab top right is when you're already in a note and want to start a new page for another note.

You can paste anything on a note......the keyboard coming up is just how it works.....long press an area to bring up the paste option. Hope this helps

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have purchased many Notes apps, because I am attracted to the look of them! But I always come back to the native Notes app. It is so easy to use, syncs between my devices and to the Cloud. It would be great if Apple would enhance it a little, more fonts, features etc but I will still stick to it regardless!

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What threw me was I had to have the keypad up and to type something before I could paste what I had copied when I first used the app. It is very user-unfriendly.

I've also found Notes somewhat tricky when I try to append to or insert in an existing note. I tap and tap and it keeps saying Copy or something else while I want to paste something I have just copied. The keyboard doesn't come up until a number of taps later. It won't ask to save and it will simply save.

By the way, I wonder if I can insert or paste images. I suppose not.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
healer said:
What threw me was I had to have the keypad up and to type something before I could paste what I had copied when I first used the app. It is very user-unfriendly.

I've also found Notes somewhat tricky when I try to append to or insert in an existing note. I tap and tap and it keeps saying Copy or something else while I want to paste something I have just copied. The keyboard doesn't come up until a number of taps later. It won't ask to save and it will simply save.

By the way, I wonder if I can insert or paste images. I suppose not.

You can only paste text.....no images.....hoping for an upgrade in this department

If you're app is playing up might be an idea to close it completely and relaunch it. From the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar. These are all the apps that you have opened at one time. Long press the app until it jiggles and a red minus sign will appear above it. Press the minus sign, this will close the app, not delete it, now press the home button to return to your screen. It's also a good idea to close all these apps, as it helps the iPad run smoothly.

It is a good idea to perform a little maintenance on your iPad occasionally to keep it running smoothly. I close my apps each night, do a restart around once a month and a reset if I notice any lagging or other issues.

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I close my apps each night, do a restart around once a month and a reset if I notice any lagging or other issues.

So the app is not considered closed when one exits by pressing the home button. What an additional task to have to close every app manually.

In the iPad User Guide, it says "Force an app to close: Hold down the Sleep/Wake button on top of iPad for a few seconds until a
red slider appears, then hold down the Home button until the app closes."

So I have the Safari opened with a web site and go through the motions of what the user guide says. I turn the iPad back on, the Safari still has the same web site on. If the app has been closed, Safari should come up blank.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
healer said:
So the app is not considered closed when one exits by pressing the home button. What an additional task to have to close every app manually.

In the iPad User Guide, it says "Force an app to close: Hold down the Sleep/Wake button on top of iPad for a few seconds until a
red slider appears, then hold down the Home button until the app closes."

So I have the Safari opened with a web site and go through the motions of what the user guide says. I turn the iPad back on, the Safari still has the same web site on. If the app has been closed, Safari should come up blank.

No an app doesn't close completely just by hitting your home button to exit the app. It stays in your multi task bar ready for you to use again. It's not actually running but does use some ram by being here. Some apps, depending on their settings may even refresh here. It's best to use the details I've outlined above for closing your apps completely.

I'm a little confused by what you say the guide says.......that sounds like turning the iPad off. If you do not close your apps from the multi task bar and do a restart or reset this does close them but they will still show in your multi task bar until you delete them from there.

Yes safari will do that even though you have closed the app, if you have left the tabs open they will refresh when you open it again. It hasn't been running in the background though.

Hope this helps you.

amelie123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The best free applications of i phone!

:eek:here are some best free iphone applications:
[h=4]1. Facebook 2. PhotoSynth 3. RunKeeper 4. Pulse 5. Dropbox[/h][h=4]6. thetrainline and you can find more after searching on internet.;)[/h]

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Some apps, depending on their settings may even refresh here.

I'm a little confused by what you say the guide says.......that sounds like turning the iPad off. If you do not close your apps from the multi task bar and do a restart or reset this does close them but they will still show in your multi task bar until you delete them from there.

Thanks! What do you mean by "Some apps, depending on their settings may even refresh here." How to change the settings of an app?

As to what the guide says, I simply copy and paste from the guide. It is iPad User Guide For iOS 5.1 Software. That statement confuses me too.

I turn off the power every time in order to save energy and preserve the battery, so it is a restart every time.

I just reset the iPad twice but I found all the apps still show up after I double press the home button. So the iPad reset doesn't close all the apps.

Below is the section on page 137 of the iPad User Guide
Restarting and resetting iPad
If something isn’t working right, try restarting iPad, forcing an app to close, or resetting iPad.
Restart iPad: Hold down the Sleep/Wake button until the red slider appears. Slide your finger
across the slider to turn off iPad. To turn iPad back on, hold down the Sleep/Wake until the Apple
logo appears.
Force an app to close: Hold down the Sleep/Wake button on top of iPad for a few seconds until a
red slider appears, then hold down the Home button until the app closes.
If you can’t turn off iPad or if the problem continues, you may need to reset iPad. This should be
done only if turning iPad off and on doesn’t resolve the problem.
Reset iPad: Hold down the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least
ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

Most reactions

Latest posts