What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a Cutepdf writer equivalent for Ipad2?

hammock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cutepdf, in Windows, adds a PDF writer or driver,,so that when print is selected, along with the list of available printers is a PDF writer, Cutepdf, that creates a PDF file instead of sending to a printer.
Note that for IPads, this would require adding an option to AirPrint.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad creates a PDF file when it uses AirPrint. Both FingerPrint (Mac and Windows) and Printopia (Mac only) are programs you can load onto your computer to enable AirPrint printing with non-AirPrint printers (connected to that computer. Because the files are PDFs both app allow you to print the files to folders on the computer instead of a printer.

I use Printopia, which allows me to print PDF files directly to my sync folder for DropBox. This gives me a slightly round about way to print PDF's from any AirPrint enabled app back to my iPad (computer on, and internet connection permitting). I'm reasonably sure FingerPrint will do the same thing.

There is no way for an app to add PDF file printing inside another app. That would require the app to jump out of it's sandbox and affect other apps through the operating system. Apple prevents this as a security measure. It is their second line of defense against rouge apps, after the screening process.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
There is no way for an app to add PDF file printing inside another app. That would require the app to jump out of it's sandbox and affect other apps through the operating system.

Doesn't this app sort of do this using the 'open in'?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Doesn't this app sort of do this using the 'open in'?

Yes, sort of, indirectly. It's not any different than any other app the can be accessed via Open In; which means the file's source app must support Open In, or use some other even less direct method to get to the PDF Printer app. Unlike the theoretical CutePDF app, it uses existing system features instead of trying to add to or modify them.

The two programs I mentioned also address the issue indirectly, with different strengths and weaknesses.

I'm just given the OP options; not denigrating the PDF Printer app. Thanks for mentioning it, by the way. I knew it existed, but could not remember the name.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Yes, sort of, indirectly. It's not any different than any other app the can be accessed via Open In; which means the file's source app must support Open In, or use some other even less direct method to get to the PDF Printer app. Unlike the theoretical CutePDF app, it uses existing system features instead of trying to add to or modify them.

The two programs I mentioned also address the issue indirectly, with different strengths and weaknesses.

I'm just given the OP options; not denigrating the PDF Printer app. Thanks for mentioning it, by the way. I knew it existed, but could not remember the name.

Oh I wasn't having a go I just wanted to know if the app did what I thought it did, thanks for clarifying.

Onto fingerprint how does it work? Does your pc need to be on all the time to print to a PDF without a printer?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Oh I wasn't having a go I just wanted to know if the app did what I thought it did, thanks for clarifying.

Onto fingerprint how does it work? Does your pc need to be on all the time to print to a PDF without a printer?

No problem.

Yes, that's the downside of the computer side apps. The computer must be on. On the other hand, if you normally have a computer on anyway it works very well; and you can print to almost any printer on your network (as long as that computer can print to it). And of course you can set up any number of folders to print the PDF to.

I have one set to my receipts folder, so I can print email (or web page) receipts directly to it.

Edit: Just checked the Photos app, because I wondered. Pictures printed from it come out as jpg, so not every document is PDF when printed. Still, anything but a picture should end up as PDF.

Last edited:
OP
H

hammock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. The PDF app mentioned claims it does what I asked, but it doesn't. Just another bad app.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
hammock said:
Thanks everyone. The PDF app mentioned claims it does what I asked, but it doesn't. Just another bad app.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Nothing will do exactly what you asked. If you were more specific about what you want to accomplish, the end result from what app, someone might have a better idea.

Most reactions

Latest posts