What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a browser app that will allow you to accesses websites in desktop mode.

ED_OG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello I wanted to know if there were apps for the ipad that allow you to browse sites in desk top mode. Often times we get rejected by a site that don't allow access to their content when they detect your on a mobile device. I wanna by pass that and switch to their desktop version with our detection.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello I wanted to know if there were apps for the ipad that allow you to browse sites in desk top mode. Often times we get rejected by a site that don't allow access to their content when they detect your on a mobile device. I wanna by pass that and switch to their desktop version with our detection.

Several apps are coded to ID as different browsers (versus Safari on the iPad). Take a look at the web browsers "Atomic Web" or "iCab Mobile.

With them, you can have the iPad identify itself to the web site as a different browser such as Firefox, Internet Explorer or Chrome. This will "force" the web site to display the standard, non-mobile version.

These are the only two browsers I am sure of, because I've used them. Come to think of it, maybe the Chrome browser might do this. Dunno. Regardless, I hope this gives you some ideas.

Marilyn

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Just wanted to pop in and explain why this is happening.

When you visit a website your web browser sends information to the system that is serving the site, known as a "server". Included in this information is a user agent string. This user agent string includes your web browser and computer operating system. The server reads this user agent string and uses this information to send the proper website format to your web browser. Thus, if the server detects a mobile browser and/or mobile operating system the server will "serve up" a mobile version of the site. Granted not all servers are programmed to do this, but this practice is becoming more popular. A properly programmed site will also have a link somewhere on each web page that allows visitors to choose a desktop or mobile version to be displayed.

The reasons behind this practice are, but not limited to:
1. Mobile versions are less traffic-intensive - less bandwidth required
2. Mobile versions usually include a lower number of advertisements
3. Mobile versions are easier and faster to create

As Mickey330 stated, some web browsers allow the user to change the user agent string that is sent to the server. Unfortunately, mobile Safari isn't very good at this. Hopefully Apple will add this feature in a future version.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Mercury browser offers user agent spoofing from its menubar. Options include OS X Safari, Chrome, Opera, and several versions of Firefox and IE. Mercury has many other appealing features as well.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

Most reactions