What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the screen really gorilla glass?

Be Soh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, my bad. I quoted the wrong iPad Mini, it's an iPad Mini 4.

And yes, I've had it fresh from sealed box to it's current condition in about a month. I don't remember my much used and abused iPad Air 2 (dropped, rolled across wooden floor, etc) had anything like this (or any other iPad I had previously). That's why I suspect Apple changed something recently.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Maybe you were just lucky with your other devices. If you drop or otherwise mishandle your iPad it may get scratched.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The mini does have thinner glass, but it is also more flexible than its larger brethren, that's why you see more broken LCDs on minis even though the glass is still intact. I've seen a mini take a hit that killed the lcd , left a dent in the battery and even dented the back case but the glass didn't break.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sorry, my bad. I quoted the wrong iPad Mini, it's an iPad Mini 4.

And yes, I've had it fresh from sealed box to it's current condition in about a month. I don't remember my much used and abused iPad Air 2 (dropped, rolled across wooden floor, etc) had anything like this (or any other iPad I had previously). That's why I suspect Apple changed something recently.

Boy, sorry for your experience - I've had an iPad 2 & now an iPad Air 2, neither w/ any scratches (use Apple's smart covers); wife has had the iPad Mini 2 & now the iPad Mini 4 (probably 2 years on the latter) - absolutely no scratches (uses same covers) - your screen has either been abused in some fashion and/or is defective - what is your current warranty and do you have a nearby Apple store for their people to assess the screen? Dave :)

Most reactions