Is the screen really gorilla glass?

Discussion in 'iPad Mini Forum' started by Tapmyapple, Nov 13, 2012.

1. iJamesH

iJamesH
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Neither do I.

2. Be Soh

Be Soh
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I came here looking for answers because the iPad Mini 2 I have which is relatively new, has so many scratches after less than a month of use. I'm actually looking at it now and the 2 year old LG G4 phone I have or any other iPads I have. None have the level of scratches this one has. Apple definitely changed something.

3. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a 7 year old iPad 1 that has no scratches at all on it's screen. None of my newer iPads have any screen scratches either. It's entirely possible that there's a lot of grit in the environment where you're using your iPad. That could cause many fine scratches over time as you use your iPad.

#13 scifan57, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  4. Be Soh

Be Soh
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Maybe I wasn't clear in my earlier posting. This is a list (not exhaustive) of the devices I have used:
    iPad 1
    iPad 2
    iPad 4
    iPad Air 2
    Samsung S4
    LG G4 (2 year old phone which I am still using).
    iPad Mini 2 in my possession for about a month.

i do not question the durability of the 7 year old iPad 1 screen which I also possess. I question the durability of the iPad Mini 2 screen which is the first device I've seen more scratches on the screen than any of the (including 7 year old iPad 1) and the first device which has more scratches on screen than the back cover or sides.

5. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    As far as I know, the iPad Mini 2 screen was not made of a less durable glass than other iPads. You say you’ve only had the iPad mini2 in your possession for about a month, has all the scratching occurred in that month?

6. Be Soh

Be Soh
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, my bad. I quoted the wrong iPad Mini, it's an iPad Mini 4.

And yes, I've had it fresh from sealed box to it's current condition in about a month. I don't remember my much used and abused iPad Air 2 (dropped, rolled across wooden floor, etc) had anything like this (or any other iPad I had previously). That's why I suspect Apple changed something recently.

7. Jupiter7

Jupiter7
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Maybe you were just lucky with your other devices. If you drop or otherwise mishandle your iPad it may get scratched.

8. Brian 244

Brian 244
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    The mini does have thinner glass, but it is also more flexible than its larger brethren, that's why you see more broken LCDs on minis even though the glass is still intact. I've seen a mini take a hit that killed the lcd , left a dent in the battery and even dented the back case but the glass didn't break.

9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Boy, sorry for your experience - I've had an iPad 2 & now an iPad Air 2, neither w/ any scratches (use Apple's smart covers); wife has had the iPad Mini 2 & now the iPad Mini 4 (probably 2 years on the latter) - absolutely no scratches (uses same covers) - your screen has either been abused in some fashion and/or is defective - what is your current warranty and do you have a nearby Apple store for their people to assess the screen? Dave :)

10. Thomas1977

Thomas1977
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Can someone say screen protector. I have one on my mini 2 and never scratch the screen.