What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the retina for Ipad mini worth the $100

dippindotz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to get a used ipad mini, but I'm considering the retina, but I'm not sure if the difference between the 2 is worth $100. I mainly intend the ipad for typing for papers, web browsing, youtube, some gaming ( I dont really play games on my ipod now, so I doubt I will do it on an ipad.) I am coming from an Ipod touch 4th gen.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Absolutely, especially given that you want to type papers on it. Also, the 8X speed difference and more ram make it worth it for things like games.

Spugnut

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have seen a number of members that bought their iPad's for one purpose and then the use gradually migrated. The money spent is definitely worth the difference in power.

Sent from my iPad using IPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Look at it this way. The iPad Mini is a small iPad 2. It's speed, graphics, everything is slightly updated tech from two years ago. The iPad Mini Retina is essentially an iPAD Air with a smaller screen. For $100 you are getting the most up to date iPad available.

Buying older devices saves you up front, now. Buying the newest device will give you an extra year or more of staying current with updates and being able to use the newest apps. Whether you should buy old or new is mostly a matter of how you intend to upgrade. If you want a device for the next year, and maybe one after that, the older iPad is good. If you want to get the longest possible time before you upgrade again, then the newest will save you money (assuming you can resist upgrading whenever you see the newer, shinier models :) ).

Anyway, that's the way I do it. I buy the best model I can afford at the time. I admit that with iPads and iPhones I also upgrade before I have to, but the older models go to my relatives so long term usability is still important to me. And I have a weakness for "ooo, new, shiny" things.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Look at it this way. The iPad Mini is a small iPad 2. It's speed, graphics, everything is slightly updated tech from two years ago. The iPad Mini Retina is essentially an iPAD Air with a smaller screen. For $100 you are getting the most up to date iPad available. Buying older devices saves you up front, now. Buying the newest device will give you an extra year or more of staying current with updates and being able to use the newest apps. Whether you should buy old or new is mostly a matter of how you intend to upgrade. If you want a device for the next year, and maybe one after that, the older iPad is good. If you want to get the longest possible time before you upgrade again, then the newest will save you money (assuming you can resist upgrading whenever you see the newer, shinier models :) ). Anyway, that's the way I do it. I buy the best model I can afford at the time. I admit that with iPads and iPhones I also upgrade before I have to, but the older models go to my relatives so long term usability is still important to me. And I have a weakness for "ooo, new, shiny" things.

I think it is more fair to say that the iPad Air is a iPad Mini Retina with a larger screen. The iPad Mini came with the new look that the Mini Retina kept and the regular iPad (in the form of the Air) adopted.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
All in the way you look at it, but since I'm feeling contentious, I'll point out:

The only thing the iPad Air got from the Mini was the shape. Almost every other improvement of the Mini Retina (the screen, the RAM, the speed, the graphics, etc) came from the full sized line, and amazingly it went all the way to the top with the Air; which was something almost no one was expecting. ;)

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All in the way you look at it, but since I'm feeling contentious, I'll point out: The only thing the iPad Air got from the Mini was the shape. Almost every other improvement of the Mini Retina (the screen, the RAM, the speed, the graphics, etc) came from the full sized line, and amazingly it went all the way to the top with the Air; which was something almost no one was expecting. ;)

Given that the Mini Retina was brought out at the same time as the Air, the flow was not from the Air down, it was from the Mini up!
And the shape was a big deal that apple had to work hard to get, given that they had to size down the battery to make it all happen. The Mini let folks know what was coming. The retina screen was expected given that every other tablet on the market has that tech and it could/should have been in the first mini. Apple had to "get over" the fact that Steve Jobs was wrong about the form factor.

And there were millions expecting exactly this very thing, in terms of the guts. I wrote to Apple as soon as I got the first mini telling them this had to happen, and I suspect I was not alone. For once the listened! :) Apple would be getting killed now in the mind of the tablet buying market if the mini 2 had been anything other than the brilliant device it is now.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
On the other hand ;) , the Mini is still a scaled down iPad Air; if only very slightly. The screen is not quite as good at colors as the iPad Air, and the processor is a hair slower.

I suppose we could compromise and pretend they are paternal twins, and who was born first only matters in court. ;)

BTW, I'm not sure I'm happy with the shape of the new iPad Air. I went into Staples yesterday and handled both devices. I was happier with the Mini's size than I thought I would be, and though the Air is certainly lighter, I found that having less bezel to grip (one handed) was bothersome. Though I'm sure I'll get over it.

Still planning on getting the Air, for those 1 to 2 percent of things it will do better for me; because those are (very slightly) more important than the extra portability. I really, really wish I could bet both, one for home and one to carry. It's this kind of thing that makes me reconsider my policy on buying lottery tickets. :D

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you've been used to the thicker bezel, it will take some time to adjust. I've had a year to get used to it with the Mini, so I had no problems.

I'm surprised that some may seem to feel the slightly larger screen of the 9.7-inch iPad makes a significant different. I do notice it a lot with the Nexus 7, but that screen is much smaller than that of the Mini....but the 7.9 and 9.7 don't, for me at least, hold a lot of difference for most things I do. I do note that I will not be buying a keyboard for the Mini, for that is where the difference would bother me. But on-screen typing is why easier on the Mini for me. I also have good close up vision so the supposed smaller letters on the Mini are no problem for me. Lastly, movies? Well, no tablet screen is big enough for a movie, but I find they are fine on the Mini. Honestly, I would prefer the better colors of the Air and it kind of bites that Apple didn't get that done. It's like there always has to be something that prevents perfection. :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't have any problems with the thinner bezel on the Mini. The iPad Air though, is heavier, and the size means that the weight has more leverage. I'd like a little more surface on the edge so that my thumb doesn't feel like it's going to slip off. As you say, I'll get used to it. A good case will probably make me forget it quicker.

The larger screen is only useful to me for one or two things, less than 2% of the things I do on the iPad. One is drawing. I don't draw a lot, but when I do any loss of screen size makes the task more difficult and/or less accurate. This task is the only one that makes me consider the rumored bigger iPad Pro as an option. Though I'm wondering how easy that larger tablet would be to hold and draw on. It would probably need a table.

Movies: bigger is better, as long as you don't have to actually hold the tablet up while watching. I rarely watch movies on my iPad, but I find it an much better experience than on the smaller Nexus 7, if if the Nexus has the better aspect ratio.

Photo editing: again, bigger is better. I do most of my photo editing (when I'm serious) on the 27" iMac, but the iPad is my backup and/or quick fix for casual photos.

So I guess, with the exception of drawing, my main reason for having the larger iPad is that it makes a better backup when the iMac is not available, or if it should die. Yes, I could get buy with the Mini, but I'd get by a bit better with the Air.

I'm not willing to give up those few things for the the greater mobility. After all, as you point out, it's not that much smaller, and therefor still needs consideration on how to best carry it around.

Most reactions