Is the retina for Ipad mini worth the $100

Discussion in 'iPad Mini Forum' started by dippindotz, Jan 18, 2014.

1. dippindotz

dippindotz
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I want to get a used ipad mini, but I'm considering the retina, but I'm not sure if the difference between the 2 is worth $100. I mainly intend the ipad for typing for papers, web browsing, youtube, some gaming ( I dont really play games on my ipod now, so I doubt I will do it on an ipad.) I am coming from an Ipod touch 4th gen.

2. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Absolutely, especially given that you want to type papers on it. Also, the 8X speed difference and more ram make it worth it for things like games.

3. dippindotz

dippindotz
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I don't plan on typing very much, just an occasionally.

4. Spugnut

Spugnut
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I have seen a number of members that bought their iPad's for one purpose and then the use gradually migrated. The money spent is definitely worth the difference in power.

Sent from my iPad using IPF

5. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hey, I'm not trying to talk to into anything. It's best to spend your money as you see fit.

6. dippindotz

dippindotz
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Do you know anywhere you could try the ipad mini 1st gen?

7. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Since Apple is still selling the 16GB version of the original iPad mini, the nearest Apple Store would be the best place to try it out.

8. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Look at it this way. The iPad Mini is a small iPad 2. It's speed, graphics, everything is slightly updated tech from two years ago. The iPad Mini Retina is essentially an iPAD Air with a smaller screen. For $100 you are getting the most up to date iPad available.

Buying older devices saves you up front, now. Buying the newest device will give you an extra year or more of staying current with updates and being able to use the newest apps. Whether you should buy old or new is mostly a matter of how you intend to upgrade. If you want a device for the next year, and maybe one after that, the older iPad is good. If you want to get the longest possible time before you upgrade again, then the newest will save you money (assuming you can resist upgrading whenever you see the newer, shinier models :) ).

Anyway, that's the way I do it. I buy the best model I can afford at the time. I admit that with iPads and iPhones I also upgrade before I have to, but the older models go to my relatives so long term usability is still important to me. And I have a weakness for "ooo, new, shiny" things.

9. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    I think it is more fair to say that the iPad Air is a iPad Mini Retina with a larger screen. The iPad Mini came with the new look that the Mini Retina kept and the regular iPad (in the form of the Air) adopted.

10. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    All in the way you look at it, but since I'm feeling contentious, I'll point out:

The only thing the iPad Air got from the Mini was the shape. Almost every other improvement of the Mini Retina (the screen, the RAM, the speed, the graphics, etc) came from the full sized line, and amazingly it went all the way to the top with the Air; which was something almost no one was expecting. ;)

#10 twerppoet, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014