What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the iPad future proof ? Will it continue to reign supreme ?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple is currently projected to ship 44.2 million iPads this year.

That's 121,000 iPad shipping EVERY SINGLE DAY for a year, including weekends and holidays.... If you factor in the non-shipping days, it closer to 180,000 units each day.

Simply amazing.

-t

kwgrimes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tom811 said:
Thanks for responding. Didn't think I'd get any comments on this thread.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

On the contrary, this is a great thread of a great question. Couldnt be any more appropriate than today with the announcement of Job's resignation (although the thread was started a couple months ago, I know).

We all know, and have read, that company's pursuit ofthe mighty dollar, whichever "dollar" that may be, is the primary reason for being in business. I can't say I wasn't more than a little disappointed when I learned of the iPad's limitations - it could be SO much more!!! And I have no doubts that it will be...someday. First, Apple wants us consumers to buy as many of the different versions of these little gems as our pocketbooks can stand. After all, that helps their bottom line right? If Apple continues it's path, this thin little device will dwarf the cray computers of the 70's and 80's - the world according to me...

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If there is so much more that can be done to the iPad, why hasn't anyone done it? Right now, it has been estimated that the iPad will reign over all tablets until at least 2016. Every year, the pundits keep moving the mark further into the future. By the time the competition catches up, how many people are going to change to a different software and interface if they are happy with what they have? It is likely that the iPad wil be the iPod of the future. Even though there were MP3 players before and after the iPod came out, the iPod and iTunes is linked with the genre in such a way that it still dominates the market. I suspect the same thing to be the case with the iPad.

One of the best remarks about Steve Jobs genius I saw was when a PC writer was looking at all the devices at a major computer expo. He goes to the hotel bar and wound up talking to some people. In talking about the expo, he remarks that he wonders how long the candy colored computers will last. A non-computer Taiwanese businessman remarked, "Until Apple invents something new". That sums the legacy of Steve Jobs very succinctly.

OP
iPad 2 is cool

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:
Apple is currently projected to ship 44.2 million iPads this year.

That's 121,000 iPad shipping EVERY SINGLE DAY for a year, including weekends and holidays.... If you factor in the non-shipping days, it closer to 180,000 units each day.

Simply amazing.

-t

Wish I invented a similar product. Sadly I was not born with a creative/inventive gene.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good question. I would think that as long as the hardware keeps up with the apps then the unit should be viable for many years. The key will be the apps, of course. If they get more and more demanding then eventually the hardware(RAM/Storage/video capability) in the ipad 2 will prove insufficient. However, I dont see this happening for a while. This hardware issue is the one "snag" with tablets in general - they arent really expandable or upgradeable as far as hardware is concerned. You get what you get. You can delete apps or whatever to make room but the RAM cant be upgraded and neither can things like camera or screen resolution.

And, even if an iPad is slightly behind hardware-wise, it can become a great backup unit or just an "around the house" system. Some of our older PCs and laptops end up being backup systems, systems for guests to use when they visit, etc, etc.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Considering that iOS has evolved from iPod to iPhone to iPad, there will probably come a time when Apple will decides to undertake a major refactoring of the code, virtually starting over again. This has happened at least once with Mac OS I believe. It will always be a challenge to maintain a single platform for such wide range of hardware and usage.

I believe that Apple IDevices will continue to rank well as a brand but, by sheer weight of numbers, iOS will become a niche player behind Android, or perhaps another tablet OS we haven't heard of yet.

OP
iPad 2 is cool

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RAC said:
I believe that Apple IDevices will continue to rank well as a brand but, by sheer weight of numbers, iOS will become a niche player behind Android, or perhaps another tablet OS we haven't heard of yet.

I read a lot of tech magazines and websites. It is predicted that over the next few years Apple rankings are likely to stabilise/fall into 2nd/3rd place as the other platforms grow in popularity. However, Apple are unlikely to sit still and wait for that to happen. They have been an extremely visionary company for the last 2 decades, if that continues then these predictions are likely to remain simply that.

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really don't care which tablet takes the lead because as a consumer I will always choose what works for me. If it's iPad, great. If it's android, great. I win either way. I don't buy one brand just for a name.

OP
iPad 2 is cool

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was looking at the EEE transformer prime pad. Looks good but really at the expensive end of the market. I mean it's more expensive than the most expensive iPad. If this is the modern market strategy then Steve can rest in peace that his legacy will remain for decades to come.

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iPad 2 is cool said:
I was looking at the EEE transformer prime pad. Looks good but really at the expensive end of the market. I mean it's more expensive than the most expensive iPad. If this is the modern market strategy then Steve can rest in peace that his legacy will remain for decades to come.

What price did you see? It is priced at $500 with 32 GB, which is less than the iPad2.

Most reactions

Latest posts