What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the iPad future proof ? Will it continue to reign supreme ?

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
china_cat84 said:
I agree with previous posters - I'm willing to bet that the iPad will be around for a long time! Of course, they will continue to update it and make it better. The Mac is still around, right? So many people out there claim that Mac (laptop or desktop) is just a more expensive version of a pc. Just like so many claimed that the iPad was a large itouch. Once you use it, you see and feel the difference. Heck, the iPad is worth it for the touch screen alone! And look how long the iPod has been considered the best of the best for a music device - even with the millions of other music devices on the market, most prefer the iPod. I don't know anyone who ever wanted a zune instead of an iPod. In my experience, (and I'm not an apple fan) apple products tend to be less buggy and more intuitive than other products. They seem to last longer when taken care of as well. My friend's iPhone 3G is still going strong and another friend's htc (which is only a year old and she babies her phone!) is on it's last leg. I've never really been an Apple fan, I never really understood why so many were obsessed until I broke down and bought the first gen iPod touch. Since then, apple devices have been my go to for portable devices...just can't bring myself to buy a MacBook when my Dell laptop works fine...but believe me, if I had the money I probably would. I've never had any hardware problems with any if my apple devices - unlike with my Dell, my toshiba, my old blackberry...

Same thing for me... I was all Linux a while ago, cause windows gave me some headache in the past. All about freedom and choice... Then I bought my iPhone 3GS for work because there was the Internet access available. Even if apple products are limited by design, they are still the best. It's all about the user experience and it's making a big difference. Probably my next computer will be a Mac, just because I fell in love with the way Apple is making it work!

VicoPad addict!

OP
iPad 2 is cool

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DrHouse said:
Same thing for me... I was all Linux a while ago, cause windows gave me some headache in the past. All about freedom and choice... Then I bought my iPhone 3GS for work because there was the Internet access available. Even if apple products are limited by design, they are still the best. It's all about the user experience and it's making a big difference. Probably my next computer will be a Mac, just because I fell in love with the way Apple is making it work!

VicoPad addict!

Hey I am all for choice, aesthetics and freedom, but do you really think Apple provide a solution to the freedom issues you had with a windows based PC ?

My wife has a MacBook pro, I seriously hate it and I bought for her as she loved the look, it has so many restrictions, I do love the photo editing abilities on it though. I am a PC man for it's ability to have total freedom, which of course sadly will inevitably brings bugs with it.

Despite all that the iPhone/iPod are the best mp3 players in the world 2nd to none, and that the iPad is without a doubt probably the best gadget/life tool I have ever bought (even with all it's restrictions).

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

OP
iPad 2 is cool

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just found these pics from a group called ECS who claim that by Q3 2011 they will release this "docking tablet" that can turn your phone into a tablet pc, they also claim that it will work with all the major operating systems out there (IOS, Android, Windows), now if that is true then that would be a development. Pictures have been demonstrated with iPhone 4.

Continued thoughts welcome.

Attachments

• image-1051436601.png
    image-1051436601.png
    269.6 KB · Views: 185
  • image-485096941.png
    image-485096941.png
    327 KB · Views: 170
  • image-687684145.png
    image-687684145.png
    221.9 KB · Views: 184
  • image-3904364080.png
    image-3904364080.png
    289.3 KB · Views: 198

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
iPad 2 is cool said:
Hey I am all for choice, aesthetics and freedom, but do you really think Apple provide a solution to the freedom issues you had with a windows based PC ?

My wife has a MacBook pro, I seriously hate it and I bought for her as she loved the look, it has so many restrictions, I do love the photo editing abilities on it though. I am a PC man for it's ability to have total freedom, which of course sadly will inevitably brings bugs with it.

Despite all that the iPhone/iPod are the best mp3 players in the world 2nd to none, and that the iPad is without a doubt probably the best gadget/life tool I have ever bought (even with all it's restrictions).

I will probably always have a PC for my Ubuntu setup. I am quite involved in the open source world. But I would like to see what OSX can provide me, and maybe tackle some Xcode ;)

VicoPad addict!

OP
iPad 2 is cool

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone else watched the D9 videos for the expected "Windows 8 multi-platform UI", I must say I was pretty amazed. I am sure The Apple Team would have been impressed too. I really think the competition is hotting up. Let's see what Apple announce next week.

akintomide

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It will be a good idea to use my ipad 2 as a mobile phone as well. I haven't even tried that aspect with FaceTime and Skype. Is any one on the forum ready to call me on FaceTime or Skype? The Tablet is taking over from Laptop. Many people who own iPad spend more time on it than on their laptop. If it is possible to answer a phone call direct from your tablet then it will make it more popular. The next gen iPad may incorporate phoning capability.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
iPad 2 is cool

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
akintomide said:
It will be a good idea to use my ipad 2 as a mobile phone as well. I haven't even tried that aspect with FaceTime and Skype. Is any one on the forum ready to call me on FaceTime or Skype? The Tablet is taking over from Laptop. Many people who own iPad spend more time on it than on their laptop. If it is possible to answer a phone call direct from your tablet then it will make it more popular. The next gen iPad may incorporate phoning capability.

I have read the forum rules a few times and I don't think that would be allowed (this is not really a social networking site). You can simply login to skype using your current credentials and you current contact list will be there. Also with FaceTime you can simply phone anyone in your contact list with an iPhone 4 or a mac using the app. It really is that easy. Remember that FaceTime will only work with a wifi connection, skype and viber will work over a 3G network also. This is what I spend at least 2 hours a day on my iPad doing.

akintomide

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 is cool said:
I have read the forum rules a few times and I don't think that would be allowed (this is not really a social networking site). You can simply login to skype using your current credentials and you current contact list will be there. Also with FaceTime you can simply phone anyone in your contact list with an iPhone 4 or a mac using the app. It really is that easy. Remember that FaceTime will only work with a wifi connection, skype and viber will work over a 3G network also. This is what I spend at least 2 hours a day on my iPad doing.

Hmmm. I am already breaking the rules this early? Ok. That is fine. Thanks. It is enough to know that people are already using the facility.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 is cool said:

Hmmm. I am already breaking the rules this early? Ok. That is fine. Thanks. It is enough to know that people are already using the facility.

You have not broken any forum rules. Yes, there are definitely some that think IPF is a social networking site ~ trust me. But now the rules are chat specific.

Who you choose to chat with on your iPad thru Facetime or Skype is not in our rules.

IF you are in violation of our rules we will let you know. No worries.:)

Back on Topic!

Last edited:

Vigor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think any good tablet device has its own merits, in another words, people will have more choices for mobile devices. But iPad does a great job to balance and compact different aspects of using, if it can maintain the advantage, it certainly the first choice for most people :ipad-front:

OP
iPad 2 is cool

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
You have not broken any forum rules. Yes, there are definitely some that think IPF is a social networking site ~ trust me. But now the rules are chat specific.

Who you choose to chat with on your iPad thru Facetime or Skype is not in our rules.

IF you are in violation of our rules we will let you know. No worries.:)

Back on Topic!

Thanks for the clarification SP. As you can see, in this thread I am trying to keep it on track with regular infusions of topic based content, who knows how long I can hold out!!!

OP
iPad 2 is cool

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Vigor said:
I think any good tablet device has its own merits, in another words, people will have more choices for mobile devices. But iPad does a great job to balance and compact different aspects of using, if it can maintain the advantage, it certainly the first choice for most people :ipad-front:

I fully agree, competition also drives innovation forward and hopefully prices downward.

G.P

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's always going to be a looming threat on the horizon, a tablet that out-specs the ipad, and so forth. But those who have invested in other Apple products, are more likely to stick with IPAD because of the Apple ecosystem, how everything syncs together, familiarity, ease of use, money invested in Apps etc etc... there's a lot of factors that will keep the Ipad as the likely standard for tablets going forward.

china_cat84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
G.P said:
There's always going to be a looming threat on the horizon, a tablet that out-specs the ipad, and so forth. But those who have invested in other Apple products, are more likely to stick with IPAD because of the Apple ecosystem, how everything syncs together, familiarity, ease of use, money invested in Apps etc etc... there's a lot of factors that will keep the Ipad as the likely standard for tablets going forward.

In my opinion, specs aren't the end-all, be-all of what makes a computer. Specs aren't everything! Look at PCs and Macs - most PCs out-spec most Macs. They have more RAM, more storage, supposedly faster processors, etc. but that doesn't mean the PC is faster or better - sometimes just the opposite. Specs just make the device look better on paper - hence the need to try it out in person!

G.P

iPF Noob
Reaction score
G.P said:

In my opinion, specs aren't the end-all, be-all of what makes a computer. Specs aren't everything! Look at PCs and Macs - most PCs out-spec most Macs. They have more RAM, more storage, supposedly faster processors, etc. but that doesn't mean the PC is faster or better - sometimes just the opposite. Specs just make the device look better on paper - hence the need to try it out in person!

I can't quite tell if you're agreeing with my point or not, but let me clarify: I'm not touting specs. I'm saying that people will continue to flock to the IPAD, even if it's 'outspec'ed', for a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with the power under the hood.

Most reactions

Latest posts