What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the Heat from iPad pro screen from the processors or the screen?

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I’ve been drawing on iPad much more recently, and noticing significant heat - nothing painful or alarming - coming from the screen. Noticeable using high-end art software like Procreate...lots of pixels being generated and “sprayed” onto the screen.

Is the heat being generated by the A12 or by the screen as it draws the art?

Thank you!

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you, twerppoet. Is there any kind of sensor / software mechanism that protects the iPad from dangerous amounts of heat, as I believe there is in macOS?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you, twerppoet. Is there any kind of sensor / software mechanism that protects the iPad from dangerous amounts of heat, as I believe there is in macOS?

The iPad will shut down with a warning if it overheats, so yes. This was fairly common problem with a couple of the early models. People trying to use them outdoors, in the sun, in hot weather reported it.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hi Padcatt - as already stated by TP, the heat is generated from the main processors in the iDevices (and from battery charging), but with all of their devices/computers, Apple has accurate sensors that will detect 'overheating' and a warning notification appears - just two below from an iPhone and iPad - not sure what the current iterations look like?

Since 2013, wife and I have owned nearly 10 iDevices and don't believe we have ever seen one of these 'hot' notices - :cool: Dave

ADDENDUM: As already stressed, using these iDevices for a prolonged time in the hot outdoors can certainly cause overheating; and more importantly, don't leave iDevices in a car on a HOT day.
Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 5.06.43 PM.png

Most reactions

Latest posts