What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the ATT 3G iPad2 unlocked?

rs6er

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Newbie here. Can't seem to find out if I can use my new 3G iPad 2 with another carrier's SIM. I am planning to go to China. If it is locked, is there an unlock available?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In the UK, it depends on whether the purchase was subsidised by the carrier. For example, we can purchase iPad's from Orange for a discount, but they are LOCKED to Orange SIMS (I have one of these, so can confirm from experience), whereas any iPad purchased at full price from Apple or a retail outlet is UNLOCKED (my Wife has one, and again, I can use any SIM in it).

I'm not sure if the same is now true in the US (I believe everything was unlocked at launch of iPad1), but the best indication is whether or not the iPad2 cost you full retail price (in which case it will be unlocked) or whether it was significantly discounted by AT&T, in which case it will likely be locked.

Hope that helps.

Irish Rose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the same is now true in the US (I believe everything was unlocked at launch of iPad1), but the best indication is whether or not the iPad2 cost you full retail price (in which case it will be unlocked) or whether it was significantly discounted by AT&T, in which case it will likely be locked.

Hope that helps.
I wasn't aware that AT&T was offering discounts on their new iPads 2's. They were offering refurbished models on their website, though. Also, I thought all of the GSM iPads were sold unlocked? :confused:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Irish Rose said:
I wasn't aware that AT&T was offering discounts on their new iPads 2's. They were offering refurbished models on their website, though. Also, I thought all of the GSM iPads were sold unlocked? :confused:
That's very possibly true Irish Rose. As I say, I can only speak authoritatively for the UK where you can purchase locked iPads (I have one!) as well as unlocked (I have one too!).

vinvan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Most reactions

Latest posts