What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the AppleCare a waste of money?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you want it in case your iPad breaks due to dropping, spilling or something like that, AppleCare is a complete waste of money as it doesn't cover accidental damage. A lot people will AppleCare thinking that it will cover accidental damage and are disappointed when their iPod/iPad/iPhone breaks, find out that AppleCare won't cover the repairs and end up shelling out around $200 for the repairs. Also, if you want it just in case there's a design flaw or a manufacturing flaw, I wouldn't bother with it as Apple's design and manufacturing are both very good. The only Apple product that I've purchased which has a design flaw is my 4th generation iPod Touch (the glass of the screen sticks out a millimeter, which makes it vulnerable). Honestly, the best protection is a good case. A good case will protect your device and will cost less than AppleCare and the repair costs as well as saving you the devastation which will ensue when an unprotected Apple device becomes damaged.

Absolutely incorrect! Did you do any research before you posted? AppleCare is no longer sold for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod, it has been replaced by AppleCare+, which does cover accidental damage. You also get two years of free telephone technical support, up from the 90 days included in the basic warranty.

Here is what Apple has to say about AppleCare+. http://www.apple.com/support/products/ipad.html

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i got it for my MacBookPro as its a very expensive piece of kit,haven't needed it so far for repairs or anything but the phone support has been very useful,i dind't take it for my iphone 5 at first but set it up on Sunday when i really needed phone support,so i would say if you can afford it get it,it's peace of mind.....in the UK it's Applecare not Applecare+

Last edited:

Rockbottom

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In my lifetime so far, I have saved money by NOT taking warranty extensions. Like a previous poster, I take repair/replacement insurance for catastrophic events on large items like a home or a (not too old) car because I would not be able to replace or repair these items without facing a major impact on my lifestyle and on my finance. I can afford to replace a iPad if needed past the warranty period. I will not be happy abut it but I will not be under duress. So this is my rationale.

I particularly love it when the clerk at a big box store offers me an extended warranty on a thing like a $50.00 Bluetooth earpiece! They are so convincing ... or try to be.

XDRoX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love AppleCare+.
Will buy it on every purchase I make from now on. It's way worth it to me because I don't have to worry about how I'm treating my phone. No case, it's all good...Drop it, replace it...

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't buy any extended warranties. With the money I've saved over the years, I could easily replace any device even if I broke it, and still come out ahead. I'm not especially gentle with my devices, but I'm an adult using them on my own -- no kids or pets to worry about.

I did drop and shatter my iPhone 4, but when I went to Apple expecting to pay for a repair, they offered me a free replacement phone, even without AppleCare. I figure I lucked out.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't buy any extended warranties. With the money I've saved over the years, I could easily replace any device even if I broke it, and still come out ahead. I'm not especially gentle with my devices, but I'm an adult using them on my own -- no kids or pets to worry about.

I did drop and shatter my iPhone 4, but when I went to Apple expecting to pay for a repair, they offered me a free replacement phone, even without AppleCare. I figure I lucked out.

I don't buy them either. Like you said, I've saved so much by not buying them that I could easily replace whatever devices were damaged. Electronics almost always show issues early in their life since there aren't really wear parts anymore. If its good out of the box then it's likely good for the stretch run. I guess if someone finds they are clumsy or will have a lot of young kids handling the device then maybe. Mostly though, extended warranties are pure profit for the sellers of them so that should say something about how much these warranties really get used. If the warranty was $50 bucks or less then possibly.....but even then....I'd feel like I was throwing $50 bucks out the window.

IMO, someone is better off getting the next model up or more storage then they are an extended warranty.

neenaiphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think after buying the second iPhone you must have realized this thing, but you went on to buy 3 more, usually its the same with every customer care you have to deal with them.

Tony711sc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do the reported problems in producing the Retina screen on the new iPad mini 2 make purchasing AppleCare the "smart choice?"

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Two battery replacements on a 32 GB 3GS paid for itself, I have it on my iPad3, the 4S that is almost two years old and will get it for my 5S in January.

Most reactions

Latest posts