What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is Stylus / Pen safe to be used on iPad-2 ?

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wonder if any of the iPad-2 owners here uses a Stylus / Writing Pen to write, scribble, draw on their iPad-2 ? is it safe, meaning does it leave any scratch or mark on the screen I don't have a scratch guard on my iPad-2 and neither do I intend to put one even If I want to tart using the stylus. So does it leave any scratch behind ?

Which is like the best Stylus available, which works ditto like a pen I also sometimes have to insert digital signatures and so need a Stylus which has a precision just like a Pen Nib.

darrenjcampbell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most stylus(es) for iPad do not have the pen-like precision that you talk of, they have a soft, round, rubbery, finger-like nib, which means that so long as they are used correctly, they are very unlikely to damage your iPad. I have read that they need to be round and rubbery to achieve the effect of a finger on the multi-touch screen, but maybe somebody can tell us otherwise. I can remember which make & model it is that I have, but I can write and draw with it quite satisfactorily. It's really down to personal preference which is the best. I have a fairly long, pencil-width stylus, but there are shorter ones and probably thicker ones. You can suit yourself.

OP
A

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I will probably find something which resembles the nib or pin point of a Ball pen so that to be able to write just like a pen and not have a thick font, like drawing or sketching something.

I was more interested here to find that some one here who from his personal experience of having used stylus who can say that the stylus does not leave any scratch or mark behind on the iPad screen.

garlotha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think there is a stylus/pen that you can purchase that can be used exclusively for ipads or iphones..

OP
A

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
But my most important question is, do this stylus leave any scratch or marks behind on the screen? Are they safe to use on the screen?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
augustya said:
But my most important question is, do this stylus leave any scratch or marks behind on the screen? Are they safe to use on the screen?

If you are concerned just put a screen protector on your iPad.

The Archangel

jmbarker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should definitely have a screen protector on your iPad. Should have been purchased and applied when you got the iPad.

OP
A

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am surprised you guys are saying this to apply a screen protector on the iPad-2 when the screen of iPad is scratch resistant is what I have heard of. Yes harder materials like metal or sand molecule will leave a scratch on it but, in normal use it is unlikely that it will have a scratch on it with normal use. And I hate putting screen guard on my device especially when it boasts a scratch resistant screen !

All glass is not the same. This is the toughest glass available. Diamond hard material can scratch. But it generally takes a lot of abuse to cause problems.

The following is a copy and paste from Anandtech in depth review of the iPAD2.

"The iPad 2 and previous iPad both utilize Corning Gorilla Glass. This type of glass is an alkali-aluminosilicate, being primarily silica and aluminum with an alkali metal, along with other unspecified components mixed in to tweak its properties. The biggest benefit of alluminosilicate glasses, aside from being relatively tough to start with, is the fact that the rate of ion exchange is fairly high even at temperatures low enough that the structure cannot react, meaning it can be processed quickly and create deep protective layers in the glass. The iPad 2 has a modest reduction in the thickness of the glass (about 23% thinner, for those interested) compared to the first iPad, and the question of increased fracture risk has been posed. Given the identical surface quality between the two generations, the reduction of thickness should create no palpable change in toughness for the typical user. That is to say, a drop that would shatter the screen on the original iPad would likely do the same for the new model. That being said, several other design changes appear to account for the change, and might yield better performance in this department.

Where its predecessor used small metal clips to retain the glass screen, the current iteration uses a ring of adhesive around the entire perimeter that not only distributes the load around the glass and prevents scoring at the glass-metal interface, but better couples the stresses into the more compliant aluminum frame. Both of these measures should improve the performance; either way, drop-testing new electronics is generally not recommended. "

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
augustya said:
I am surprised you guys are saying this to apply a screen protector on the iPad-2 when the screen of iPad is scratch resistant is what I have heard of. Yes harder materials like metal or sand molecule will leave a scratch on it but, in normal use it is unlikely that it will have a scratch on it with normal use. And I hate putting screen guard on my device especially when it boasts a scratch resistant screen !

All glass is not the same. This is the toughest glass available. Diamond hard material can scratch. But it generally takes a lot of abuse to cause problems.

The following is a copy and paste from Anandtech in depth review of the iPAD2.

"The iPad 2 and previous iPad both utilize Corning Gorilla Glass. This type of glass is an alkali-aluminosilicate, being primarily silica and aluminum with an alkali metal, along with other unspecified components mixed in to tweak its properties. The biggest benefit of alluminosilicate glasses, aside from being relatively tough to start with, is the fact that the rate of ion exchange is fairly high even at temperatures low enough that the structure cannot react, meaning it can be processed quickly and create deep protective layers in the glass. The iPad 2 has a modest reduction in the thickness of the glass (about 23% thinner, for those interested) compared to the first iPad, and the question of increased fracture risk has been posed. Given the identical surface quality between the two generations, the reduction of thickness should create no palpable change in toughness for the typical user. That is to say, a drop that would shatter the screen on the original iPad would likely do the same for the new model. That being said, several other design changes appear to account for the change, and might yield better performance in this department.

Where its predecessor used small metal clips to retain the glass screen, the current iteration uses a ring of adhesive around the entire perimeter that not only distributes the load around the glass and prevents scoring at the glass-metal interface, but better couples the stresses into the more compliant aluminum frame. Both of these measures should improve the performance; either way, drop-testing new electronics is generally not recommended. "

To be clear, I said if you are concerned about scratching you should use a screen protector. Personally I have never used a screen protector on either of my iPads, I'm just careful with them.

Your earlier comments suggest that you are concerned. In the end it's your choice, you can do whatever you want, I think that you probably have all the info that you need now to make your decision.

The Archangel

OP
A

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To be clear, I said if you are concerned about scratching you should use a screen protector. Personally I have never used a screen protector on either of my iPads, I'm just careful with them.

Your earlier comments suggest that you are concerned. In the end it's your choice, you can do whatever you want, I think that you probably have all the info that you need now to make your decision.

The Archangel

Yes I know that iPad screens does not scratch easily but I was not sure about using stylus like products or products which had a rubbery tip These may not leave any scratch, but yet can have a rubber swiping mark on the screen, so that was what I was asking about.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
augustya said:
Yes I know that iPad screens does not scratch easily but I was not sure about using stylus like products or products which had a rubbery tip These may not leave any scratch, but yet can have a rubber swiping mark on the screen, so that was what I was asking about.

I clean my screen regularly with a microfiber cloth, so far it has removed everything that has been thrown at it (not literally thrown!).

The Archangel

OP
A

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I clean my screen regularly with a microfiber cloth, so far it has removed everything that has been thrown at it (not literally thrown!).

The Archangel

So coming back to the original question Stylus does not leave any rubber swiping mark on the screen, forget scratches (As there is no question of getting a scratch using a rubber tip stylus ) right ?

Most reactions

Latest posts