What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is SP3 for Windows XP crucial to iPad 2?

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Included in the system requirements for the iPad 2 is this info: Windows 7; Windows Vista; or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 3 or later

I have SP2 installed on my desktop, but the OS is balking at installing SP3. I downloaded and installed the most recent version of iTunes and set up an account with no problems, but wonder if the lack of SP3 going to be a major issue whenever my iPad 2 arrives and I try to set it up using my main rig.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are better reasons to install SP3 than an iPad. Have you tried running a check on the hard drive to see if the are disk errors?

OP
I

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I have. There are no disk errors. The SP3 issue will be resolved when I have more time. But that doesn't answer my question if SP3 is an absolute requirement to get the iPad 2 up and running.

Reaction score
I emailed Microsoft and they mailed me a SP3 disc for free. It worked fine,took less than a week to arrive

Support Our Troops!!
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.
You read it correctly, iPad and Tapatalk muhahaha! :D

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you've exhausted using google and the forums for an answer with your question, as I see it you have two choices, either suck it and see when you get the iPad 2 or install SP3. I personally would make a full disk image with Acronis True Image or a similar product, there are some free disk image programs out there. Then try the SP3 installation, that way if things go wrong you wouldn't have to reinstall Windows from scratch.

The disk image would, however, require an external usb drive formatted to NTFS, (FAT32 will create a lot of 4GB files rather than one backup file because of the maximum 4GB limit of FAT32's file system) for best results as it can take a lot of space to create depending on the files stored on your computer. You can image to DVD but it could take as many as eight DVD discs to do.

As I would read it however, if it says compatible OS Windows XP SP3 then that's probably what it needs.

OP
I

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions. Actually, you don't have to reinstall Windows if SP3 doesn't install. I've already attempted to install it twice and each time it failed at the end, most likely due to some registry conflict. The installer cleans up after itself after such failure and puts everything back together quite nicely. There are a couple of fixes available from Microsoft, but I just don't have the time to fool around with them right now.

BTW, I do have Acronis and two internal hard drives (one a WD Raptor), plus an external HD, so making an image is no big deal.

Maybe I'll just call Apple and ask. I'm new to Apple products and hope their support is better than their delivery system.

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well if your set for recovery and the like then the horses mouth is without doubt the best place to get the answers. I just suggested the backup in the event of disaster striking, it wouldn't be the first time ATI has came to my rescue.

Any reason on clinging to XP other than perhaps hardware/software? I've found Windows 7 to be the best of them all, but that's my opinion, way better than the pile of bolts that proceeded it and upgrading was pretty painless on my setup. Buying an iPad 2 only to find it won't sync with iTunes for instance, which would effectively castrate it, would be expensive so I can understand your predicament.

Now might be a good time for a Windows upgrade. Hardware/software waits for no man... So to speak.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It could be that only Home Sharing needs SP3, if it is truly needed at all. That would be my guess.

Michael

OP
I

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Any reason on clinging to XP other than perhaps hardware/software? I've found Windows 7 to be the best of them all, but that's my opinion, way better than the pile of bolts that proceeded it and upgrading was pretty painless on my setup. Buying an iPad 2 only to find it won't sync with iTunes for instance, which would effectively castrate it, would be expensive so I can understand your predicament.

Now might be a good time for a Windows upgrade. Hardware/software waits for no man... So to speak.

Hardware/software it is. The Raptor HD, upping RAM to 4G, replacing the power supply, adding another fan (required by the replacement video card), and the fact it can run certain pre-XP software makes it a keeper...and a pretty good little gaming machine.

That's not to say I haven't been looking at newer systems. I do have a little Acer netbook with an Intel dual core and Windows 7 starter to fall back on, if necessary. I just prefer the normal keyboard and larger monitor of my desktop....and would like to put off the SP3 install issue for a while.

@Michael, thanks for sharing your opinion about the home sharing aspect.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts