What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Passcode On Required

Lpatrick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Only my wife and I use this iPad Air 2. Is it absolutely necessary/required that the passcode be turned on? Yes, I am a greenhorn.....

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would advise always having a password for your iPad. If the iPad is lost or stolen it will prevent someone from accessing the iPad.

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Agree with scifan and with the Air 2 you can use the finger print sensor rather than having to type your code MOST of the time. Fast, easy and secure!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To answer the OP's original question, it is NOT absolutely necessary that you have a passcode. It is simply personal choice, and as you have heard, the recommendation of most users is to have a passcode set.

You may also want to look at the option under Settings > Passcode > Require Passcode, and set this value to something other than "Immediately". For example, when set to "1 hour" the iPad will not prompt you for the passcode again if you have previously used it within that timeframe... You do however "lose" these options once TouchID is enabled.

Remember also, you can train the iPad TouchID sensor to recognise all of your own fingerprints AS WELL as your Wife's. Many people forget this and choose not to use TouchID when the device is shared between family members.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you end up with passcode settings which suit you and your wife!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Only my wife and I use this iPad Air 2. Is it absolutely necessary/required that the passcode be turned on? Yes, I am a greenhorn.....

As already suggested, the iPad Air 2 (which I use) and my wife's new iPhone 6 have the 'fingerprint' technology mentioned previously - we have several fingerprints recognized for each of us on both devices - once setup and learned, the technique is quick and secure (arguably the best - learn more HERE) - and purchases can be easily made online or even at qualifying stores w/ Apple pay - for me, probably one the best 'new' experiences w/ an iPad (Air 2 replaced my aging iPad 2). Dave :)

Most reactions