What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is my ipad a good version

anonbeep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Weymouth Dorset England where the Sailing Olympics
Hope u don't think I am asking dumb questions but I don't have a clue about anything, I am 68 and never been computer literate, so when I bought this iPad I bought solely on knowing nothing. It is an Apple Retina Display - Version 7.0.2(11a501) - Model MD525/A. Shop told me it was the greatest but they would wldnt they. Don't get me wrong here I luv it, it is a super bit of kit and I must admit I can't leave it alone, great fun but now I hav joined u I feel I may hav been a bit hasty, it just never occurred to me that people like u existed, "going online and googling names!!" And Forums! So u see hav a lot to learn and a lot of questions to ask, if u don't mind and those sites u suggest are helpful but sometimes not a lot of good wen u kno nothing, so is it any good, should I upgrade already and I hav hit a prob already, How do you open a tif file sent as attachment in email (hotmail), the shop cldnt answer that one! Thank you beepsy.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, that model is an iPad 4 which is the latest and greatest.

As for tiff files, I can't recall if the standard photo app handles them but try this, tap and hold the file in the email, an "open in" dialogue box should appear with a choice of apps that can open your file.....if you don't have an app to open the file then open the App Store app and type "tiff" into the search engine and you should get a selection of apps that will open your file, choose one with good reviews (or maybe a helpful member here can suggest one) and install it. Then go back to your email and do the tap and hold again on the file and it should give you the option to open it in the newly installed app.

The Archangel

OP
A

anonbeep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, that model is an iPad 4 which is the latest and greatest. As for tiff files, I can't recall if the standard photo app handles them but try this, tap and hold the file in the email, an "open in" dialogue box should appear with a choice of apps that can open your file.....if you don't have an app to open the file then open the App Store app and type "tiff" into the search engine and you should get a selection of apps that will open your file, choose one with good reviews (or maybe a helpful member here can suggest one) and install it. Then go back to your email and do the tap and hold again on the file and it should give you the option to open it in the newly installed app. The Archangel

Thank you for coming back to me, can't use your advice because I have just realised I have another problem. When I pass mail to archive it is being deleted and I archived the mail with the tif attachment and now it is gone so I cannot do your advice trip, I am sure it is a fault because I did it before with some other mail, all the archive is gone. Anybody else getting this prob? Today I also notice that I keep losing connection but it is very stormy here now, could that be the problem with connection, my tv don't stop.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you for coming back to me, can't use your advice because I have just realised I have another problem. When I pass mail to archive it is being deleted and I archived the mail with the tif attachment and now it is gone so I cannot do your advice trip, I am sure it is a fault because I did it before with some other mail, all the archive is gone. Anybody else getting this prob? Today I also notice that I keep losing connection but it is very stormy here now, could that be the problem with connection, my tv don't stop.

Just to address your opening question - see the quote below (from HERE) stating that the iPad 'Mail Attachment Support' includes opening TIFF attachments, so Gabriel's advice should work once you obtained another similar email.

Concerning your 'archive' issue, I cannot say much w/o knowing what mail client you are using (e.g. Yahoo, GMail, etc.) and what you mean by 'archive' (assume storing your emails in a folder on the email server you are using)? Please provide some more specific information - good luck - Dave :)

Viewable document types: .jpg, .tiff, .gif (images); .doc and .docx (Microsoft Word); .htm and .html (web pages); .key (Keynote); .numbers (Numbers); .pages (Pages); .pdf (Preview and Adobe Acrobat); .ppt and .pptx (Microsoft PowerPoint); .txt (text); .rtf (rich text format); .vcf (contact information); .xls and .xlsx (Microsoft Excel)

OP
A

anonbeep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@giradman, thank you Dave, my mail is hotmail which shows an archive file. I just archived a mail which I don't want to see what wld happen and it archived, so now I am perplexed because I don't kno if it is me or the system. All I kno is I lost a lot of mail which I'm sure I archived, so I will sit on that and see if it happens again anytime as I keep doing it.

Regarding opening the tif file. Thanks for the advice, I will get my friend to send it again and follows your instructions, I notice there is tiff and tif. The file I want open is a tif, that is what the attachment showed, I wrote it down, is there a diff or am I trying to be too careful. Anyway I will go through your advice as I am on a learning curve here. Once again thank you, beepsy

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
@giradman, thank you Dave, my mail is hotmail which shows an archive file. I just archived a mail which I don't want to see what wld happen and it archived, so now I am perplexed because I don't kno if it is me or the system. All I kno is I lost a lot of mail which I'm sure I archived, so I will sit on that and see if it happens again anytime as I keep doing it.

Hi again - I use Yahoo mail, so hopefully members using Hotmail will 'chime in' w/ suggestions and/or check their website for a possible solution - good luck.

Regarding opening the tif file. Thanks for the advice, I will get my friend to send it again and follows your instructions, I notice there is tiff and tif. The file I want open is a tif, that is what the attachment showed, I wrote it down, is there a diff or am I trying to be too careful. Anyway I will go through your advice as I am on a learning curve here. Once again thank you, beepsy

TIF & TIFF are the same file format; TIFF = Tagged Image File Format (a lossless image format, i.e. a LARGE file) - unless you need this image at likely a multi-MB size, then JPEG would be the better option - just saying. In the old DOS days, there was a limitation on the length of file extensions, i.e. x.3 letters, so the need to use TIF. Hope this helps - Dave :)

Last edited:
OP
A

anonbeep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Giradman, yes it is really helpful and I am really grateful. Putting all this stuff together is fun but there is a lot of it and I am steaming thro the basics fast as I can so as not to ask wasteful and dumb questions but I notice a lot of slang terminology used which is not in the manuals. The files are a headache cos there are so many and it is then knowing and remembering what they all do and what is best to use for what case, I'll get there, again thanks Dave. Funny gettin messages from the other side of the world from someone u never knew or likely to meet, I can see why it is so appealing, beepsy

Most reactions