is my employer allowed to track my company issued iPad2?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by jwl1940, Sep 1, 2011.

1. jwl1940

jwl1940
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi all,

My company will be issuing employees the iPad 2 for business and reasonable personal use. My job involves a lot of driving (I use my own car but get paid for use and travel). There was nothing in the agreement I signed stating that they would be able to do this, but I'm just curious. Will they be able to play "Big Brother" in this situation and follow me because it's their property or is this something I have to agree to?

Thanks!

2. SweetPoison

SweetPoison
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Company issued? I would think YES they do and probably will. Are they giving them to you or do you return it if you leave the company?

Let see what others chime in with.

3. jwl1940

jwl1940
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    It's their property and I have to return it if I quit, get fired or they ask for it back for any reason.

4. CybrDuke

CybrDuke
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, I am still learning, but you'd need an app to track the iPad. Couldn't you just shut off location services? That's under settings. Can an iPad be tracked that is not providing it's location?

5. Dee Ashley

Dee Ashley
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I think because it is company property the answer is yes. The IT department can put an application on the ipad, smartphone, laptop, or gps units that are supplied by your employer.

Be careful what you put on your computer, ipad, cell phones because yes, the employer can have all the information you put on these devices. And if you go to unsuitable websites you can be fired. This includes your private email account....there is no such thing as private anything if it is on a company issued device.

6. idave23

idave23
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Reasonable personal use? That's probably more than a lot of companies would allow. I think I'd just be happy with that, not take it anywhere I wouldn't want them to know about and then not worry about whether they're keeping track of their own property.

7. SweetPoison

SweetPoison
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Well said!:)

8. col.bris

col.bris
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Find my phone may have been activated which can find your iPad within a meter any where you go. Your issue is with your company so I suggest you ask them for answers the posts above answer every thing

9. jerseymaggie

jerseymaggie
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I work for the federal government and I think this policy is relevant even in the private sector: "When using government systems & equipment there should be NO expectation of privacy".

I agree with most posts here, unless it's your own personal iPad (or laptop, etc), I don't think there is any way around your employers' right to monitor your iPad use.

10. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Not only would I expect no privacy with work-issued hardware, I would expect no privacy if using work wi-fi, even with my personal hardware. That's why I don't use work wi-fi for my own stuff.