What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is my credit card info safe? iPad 3G stolen w/ SIM

XciteMe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Today I met with this guy I corresponded with on Craigslist to sell my 16GB 3G iPad, to him for $475.

(I wanted to upgrade to the 32GB 3G iPad, but didn't want to return it with a restocking fee)

So I get there (a restaurant) and I spot him, we sit down to arrange. He pulls out an envelope and places it next to me. A waitress comes up to us (we were seated at a table) and asks if we're ordering anything... I told her no we're just gonna be here for 2 minutes tops, and she explained we can't be there if we're not customers. While turning my attention to her, that's when the guy literally just grabbed my iPad, bolted out like he was running from a psycho killer. Just JETTED out there, I stood no chance. All I could do was shout out "Somebody call the police!" and chase after him, but he had already rounded the corner, was about halfway down the block, and slid into a waiting car w/ driver.

Now long story short... I did "Erase all Settings & Content" on my iPad before we met, for security. Thing is, I do NOT want to have to cancel my Unlimited Data plan, because I will lose it. Since my AT&T account info on that iPad cannot be accessed without my email and password, am I safe from anybody accessing my CC info on the stolen iPad via "Account Info" in Settings? Would it be OK if I just have AT&T switch the Unlimited Data to my "New" iPad? I know for a fact they can "switch" over a data plan to a new unit.

Would my stolen iPad and its SIM, and my account, be safe, is what I'm asking?

Please help.

Last edited:

Tenroe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sadly I don't have any useful info for you but to bad you didnt leave mobile me on the ipad so that you could have tracked it even though it was stolen.

I just don't understand why anyone uses craigslist anymore it's officially the shadiest place on the internet as far as selling stuff goes. Wayyyyyy too many horror stories for me to ever think about using it.

Sorry for your loss though friend and I hope your card info is safe.:(

Terry2543

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i always ask the buyer to hand the money over before they get to look at my item. it s just smart. I am sorry, XciteMe, about the situation, please warn other people and be careful out there.

Jazzephaye

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Today I met with this guy I corresponded with on Craigslist to sell my 16GB 3G iPad, to him for $475.

(I wanted to upgrade to the 32GB 3G iPad, but didn't want to return it with a restocking fee)

So I get there (a restaurant) and I spot him, we sit down to arrange. He pulls out an envelope and places it next to me. A waitress comes up to us (we were seated at a table) and asks if we're ordering anything... I told her no we're just gonna be here for 2 minutes tops, and she explained we can't be there if we're not customers. While turning my attention to her, that's when the guy literally just grabbed my iPad, bolted out like he was running from a psycho killer. Just JETTED out there, I stood no chance. All I could do was shout out "Somebody call the police!" and chase after him, but he had already rounded the corner, was about halfway down the block, and slid into a waiting car w/ driver.

Now long story short... I did "Erase all Settings & Content" on my iPad before we met, for security. Thing is, I do NOT want to have to cancel my Unlimited Data plan, because I will lose it. Since my AT&T account info on that iPad cannot be accessed without my email and password, am I safe from anybody accessing my CC info on the stolen iPad via "Account Info" in Settings? Would it be OK if I just have AT&T switch the Unlimited Data to my "New" iPad? I know for a fact they can "switch" over a data plan to a new unit.

Would my stolen iPad and its SIM, and my account, be safe, is what I'm asking?

Please help.

wow im so sorry that happened. You definitley opened my eyes. I always use Cragislist...and my husband always go together to meet with people. Almost all our big electronics we got off of Craigslist...flat screen, xbox, ipod...and initially when the Wifi version of the iPad came out...i drove all the way to Dacula GA to get it...I even turned around and sold it on Craiglist to a guy my husband and I told to meet us at Starbucks so that i could stand in line to purchage the 3G model. I would never have thought someone would have tried this in a public place where you sit down (but now that i think about it...theres people who shoot other people in broad daylight...huh). Again...im so sorry for your lost. You have definitely made me slow down on my Craiglisting.

ARDOTBEE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's just so upsetting, I really can't believe someone had the audacity to do something like that.. It's really sickening.. Hopefully you'd be able to keep the unlimited data plan on your new iPad.. And hopefully this guy you dealt with dies a slow and painful death.. Not even kidding!!!

qnet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.network-creations.net
Wow, I hate to hear that. I never used craiglist but, is there a way to block or ban that user so no one else deals with them? I hate thieves and, this makes me leery of craiglist also.

OperatorX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would check with the mobile carrier and explain the situation. Technically this would be a device switch, which any reputable carrier should not change your account over. With that said, it is AT&T but it would not hurt to ask.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife deals with Craig's List a lot with no problems, but anything can br used by crooks.

Meezers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been SO lucky with Craigslist. I sold my iPhone 3GS for $300. Young man asked where I wanted to meet. I told him my work. Suwanee Police Department. I would have to buzz him in. :)
The young man was actually grateful because he knew HE would be safe.
Hope your police department can pull video. Wonder if iPad value makes it a felony? (I work radio)

Most reactions