is LTE Technology available in all countries ?

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by augustya, Mar 7, 2012.

1. augustya

augustya
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I was wondering if the iPad-3 does come out with the LTE Technology, is it available everywhere else like outside the U.S ? Ultimately the LTE version will not be of any use for countries other then the U.S !

2. @ndr3w

@ndr3w
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    LTE is currently being beta tested in London by O2. I believe LTE is aiming to become available at the end of 2012 in the UK.

3. augustya

augustya
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    There you go...It is of no use for people outside the U.S. It is not available in most of the countries as of now. Even my country there is no LTE Technology available as of now. I am just wondering will they Launch the iPad-3 minus the LTE if and when they have to release it for Non-US countries where LTE is still not in use.

4. @ndr3w

@ndr3w
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    It may be of use to me as I live in London. I just need to find out how I become a beta tester! ;)

5. Webalistic

Webalistic
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Just wondering: will LTE ipads support only LTE? Or is it in addition to 3G? Like the 3G ipad also supports gprs, and 3G variants like edge, etc
    Or is the LTE technology so different from 3G that it can't be combined?

6. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Thanks Received:
    According to my research, an iPad with LTE bought in the States will not work in any other countries due to different frequencies being used. Rumor has it that the new iPad 3 will have a 4G LTE AT&T option, a 4G LTE Verizon option, and the 3G CDMA/GSM currently used option. I had hoped for a combined LTE option, but my sources says that the separate chips make more sense at this time.

7. Webalistic

Webalistic
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ok, thanks
    Combining flavours and frequencies seems to be a ok in a smartphone though. Mine will do 3g, umts, edge, etc on various bands. Works fine here (EU) and worked fine on my various trips outside the EU.
    But, I can imagine it's also a nice way of (partly) controlling markets. I remember lots of people proudly showing off their iPhone 1's they brought back from the US when they weren't available here yet.

8. augustya

augustya
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    So you are saying the Same iPad-3 which would be released with 4G LTE in U.S will be launched with the usual 3G option in countries where LTE is still not available ?

9. Webalistic

Webalistic
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    looking at what's reported in the live blogs, it seems both LTE and 3G will be present in the same device.

10. augustya

augustya
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    That IMO is a good thing that they did so no seperate models for different countries if 4G LTE is available in your country use it or else use 3G no Fuss !