What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is jailbreaking going to be a thing of the past?

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We can agree to disagree, but there is absolutely no way that Apple will enable forced IOS updates OTA on iOS 5.0

Your TOS documents for every device you own (not just Apple ones) say a lot of very odd things many of which never get implemented in real life.

Yes, it is their "right" to do it, but that is very different from forcing every owner to do it. The logistics of such a policy don't even bear consideration.

Post of the day!

I was wondering where you were.;)

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
check this out

for the devices to accept over the air updates, would be something enabled in the OS, and i am pretty sure a hacker will find this, and either make us create a new .ipsw custom restore iOS that will disable this using pwnage tool or give us a tutorial to use ifile and issue a command to disable.

just something i thought of, what does others have to say about what i just wrote?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Any jailbroken IOS5 beta machine today will not accept OTA updates. Disabling it on GM would likely be trivial, as would redirecting it. Now imagine that... OTA jailbreaks for life.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just think outside the box, cause you know Apple will. As I said already the API for OTA updates for Apps is also available, meaning any App could patch itself and any privileged App could in theory patch iOS.

Though I do not discount the ability of a hacker to break a static OS, the constant battle with a changing iOS in an iCloud world is going to be a much greater challenge than even the last exploit - which took quite a long time and some real luck.

It will be interesting to see how serious Apple is about closing any security loophole. They certainly have the money and resources to be very, very serious about it - and with the framework in place for iTunes, iCloud and OTA incremental updates, you may indeed be able to jailbreak, however it may come at the expense of never being able to use iTunes, iCloud or receive any App or iOS updates. That may indeed be the new price of admission.

Again, we can all only speculate at this time. I'm simply looking at the tools available should they get serious about the problem, coupled with the rumors of Jobs' current obsession with security and making my personal prediction. YMMV

-t

Most reactions

Latest posts