Is jailbreaking going to be a thing of the past?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by stayin100, Aug 14, 2011.

1. stayin100

stayin100 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So I've just stumbled on the iPad and iPhone and do like them, coming from the world of android I am used to being able to root any phone and do what ever I want with it. Seeing as I am on 4.3.5 on the pad and 4.2.10 on the phone my jailbreaks are limited to tethered on the pad, and null on the phone. Asking for an answer from someone thats been in the iOS works for a while, do you think the current and upcoming versions will be jailbreakable? I realize why the 4.3.5 jb wouldn't be released until apple releases ios5, but in apple possibly closing the doors on us?
  2. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +635 / 0
    Apple have been constantly improving their security and the countermeasures they deploy against jailbreaking for years. There is nothing new happening now, but for sure each time they make a change it is more of a challenge. Equally, each time they release and new hardware or OS revision there will be new exploits to be found. It just takes time and is part of the constant game of cat and mouse that defines the jailbreaking community.
  3. Poser

Poser iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0
  4. Poser

Poser iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    you don't have to be jailbroken to save shsh blobs, just connect your device to tiny umbrella, and save every firmware(shsh blobs) apple releases, just in case you wanna jailbreak to a specific firmware(shsh blobs) you have saved, especially for the tethered - untethered firmware, you don't know which one will be untethered, but atleast you have choices...
  5. peled

peled iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    iOS 5.0 will include more application. Meaning higher probability for security holes.
    Software Eng' are known to create bugs. Hackers are known to find them.
    The more code lines you have , the more vulnerable you become
    I am optimistic - Jailbreak will find new places to penetrate.
  6. stayin100

stayin100 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Did you mean to post this elsewhere?
  7. Poser

Poser iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    100‱ meant for this thread...
  8. stayin100

stayin100 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not trying to be rude just didn't see the relevance to this thread, elaborate?
  9. Poser

Poser iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    now i read you said you have 4.2.1 on the iphone, without knowing which iphone you have, and wondering why you are still on 4.2.1, and that i do know iphone 3G last firmware is 4.2.1. But if by some chance you have a iphone 3GS or IP4, and realize you don't want to be tethered by 4.3.5, you can take tips from the image posted.

and my very next post was instructing anyone that have an iPad 2 to save your SHSH blobs, cause you never know which one will be iPad 2 compatible....4.3.7 might be, but you have 4.3.9 currently, but you did save 4.3.7 blobs.

hope this wasn't confusing, although it might be, oh well.
    edit: seen your sig, after posting this...
  10. stayin100

stayin100 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just got the iPhone last week, it's a white 16gb CDMA on 4.2.10. Null means that I can't jailbreak it as there is no 100% working jailbreaks for it. I have started saving blobs though. Im just not known for my ability to wait lol.
  11. Poser

Poser iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    ok i get it now, forgot about verizon and its lower strange firmwares(I'm in Canada), and it is a iphone 4....

because you said "jailbreaks", it made me think both are..

and i do see, 4.2.8 is supported, untethered too and jailbreakme.com compatible, but you're stuck on 4.2.10. You will get a jailbreak soon.
  12. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0
    If Apple hates J-Breakers as much as something I once read on some webby web site on the Interweb, a long time ago and I forgot where, well, your answer is no. The future looks bleak and we will not have the ability to JB.

That said, there are oodles of clever folks that are working hard to circumvent Apple and I can or must believe it will forever be possible to JB our devices.

Or I am wrong and Apple will be all too clever and find a way that no matter how clever you are you can’t get around this one. Perhaps something evil and clever and so complex, Apple can’t plug all the holes and a JB is but a click away.

I am hoping some coder(s) will come up with a replacement OS that lets us bid a fond farewell to Apple. Something with unfettered file system access, themes, widgets, and the other things we love.
  13. stayin100

stayin100 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Like android? Lol, not trying to start anything, just what you described was pretty much the Droid experience. I do love the iOS world more and more as I play with these few new toys I have acquired, but I'm now experiencing the things I argued to iOS users for years as to why I chose google over apple.. Jailbreaking makes things that are essential to me in a mobile device possible, not all of then but the important ones, And I get to benefit from the over all fluidity of this os over Droid, and the highly polished look of them. I do stil own many Droid phones and a galaxy 10.1 tab, but I do wish to keep the iOS stuff, and jail breaking allows me to fill in the holes :( just don't want to get to attached to this whole world if it's coming to an end.
  14. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0

There will always be someone who has a key.;)
  15. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    I would not count on being able to jailbreak in the future. The new update system will NOT require your permission to download and install iOS patches if you connect your device to the Internet in any way...

Today's system asks because updates are 600M. When they are 1M or less they will simply install themselves... Read your TOS. If you connect to the App Store or iCloud in any way Apple can update your system without asking your permission

I suspect Apple will close the door and nail it shut this time.

-t
  16. Gabriel1

Gabriel1 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    Are you sure......just because they can doesn't automatically mean that they will?

The Archangel
  17. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0

Perhaps for a while. But sooner or later....;)
  18. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    The only reason I believe this will happen is word that Jobs does not like the fact that there are security holes in iOS that allow jail breaking. Rumor is he has become somewhat obsessed with the subject - and he always gets his way at Apple...

It will be so easy for a device to patch itself now even a few bytes at a time, I cannot imagine they would not take advantage of this mechanism in the future.

There is API support for Apps to offer incremental updates as well, which could be very interesting too.

-t
  19. Gabriel1

Gabriel1 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    You can't beat rumours, eh?

The Archangel
  20. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    I worked at Apple in the early 80s when it was very frightening to get into an elevator with Jobs. You might be fired by the time you reached your floor - if he asked you questions about your project you could not answer. He was really adamant that everyone on a project team understood the entire project.

When he gets a bee in his bonnet he is really driven...

-t