What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is jailbreaking going to be a thing of the past?

stayin100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I've just stumbled on the iPad and iPhone and do like them, coming from the world of android I am used to being able to root any phone and do what ever I want with it. Seeing as I am on 4.3.5 on the pad and 4.2.10 on the phone my jailbreaks are limited to tethered on the pad, and null on the phone. Asking for an answer from someone thats been in the iOS works for a while, do you think the current and upcoming versions will be jailbreakable? I realize why the 4.3.5 jb wouldn't be released until apple releases ios5, but in apple possibly closing the doors on us?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple have been constantly improving their security and the countermeasures they deploy against jailbreaking for years. There is nothing new happening now, but for sure each time they make a change it is more of a challenge. Equally, each time they release and new hardware or OS revision there will be new exploits to be found. It just takes time and is part of the constant game of cat and mouse that defines the jailbreaking community.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tiny umbrella and saving shsh blobs, try to understand that first.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24323-shsh-blobs-frequently-asked-questions.html

in green, this dude have firmwares(shsh blobs) that he can downgrade to, because it is saved on cydia, which can be transferred to a pc, if not saved already by using tiny umbrella, cause you really need them to be in tiny umbrella to downgrade.
cydia.jpg

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you don't have to be jailbroken to save shsh blobs, just connect your device to tiny umbrella, and save every firmware(shsh blobs) apple releases, just in case you wanna jailbreak to a specific firmware(shsh blobs) you have saved, especially for the tethered - untethered firmware, you don't know which one will be untethered, but atleast you have choices...

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iOS 5.0 will include more application. Meaning higher probability for security holes.
Software Eng' are known to create bugs. Hackers are known to find them.
The more code lines you have , the more vulnerable you become
I am optimistic - Jailbreak will find new places to penetrate.

OP
S

stayin100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP
S

stayin100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not trying to be rude just didn't see the relevance to this thread, elaborate?

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I've just stumbled on the iPad and iPhone and do like them, when did you get iPad and iphone, which ones?

coming from the world of android I am used to being able to root any phone and do what ever I want with it. iOS jailbroken is kinda the same thing

Seeing as I am on 4.3.5 on the pad and 4.2.10 on the phone my jailbreaks are limited to tethered on the pad, and null on the phone. ipad 1 4.3.5 tethered, and 4.2.1 on the iphone, what does null mean?, gonna assume you have iphone 3G

Asking for an answer from someone thats been in the iOS works for a while, i started to jailbreak early 2010, still learning..

do you think the current and upcoming versions will be jailbreakable? Now the reason why i added my post, first off.....all iOS devices (except iPad 2), will and can be jailbreakable..... now when it comes down to being tethered and untethered by way of the firmware, you should use tiny umbrella to save all shsh blobs as they come out, in case you need to downgrade to a specific lower firmware because only that one is untethered...and you are currently on a higher one that will be tethered.

I realize why the 4.3.5 jb wouldn't be released until apple releases ios5, but in apple possibly closing the doors on us? even more sense on this one....you claim you are tethered on 4.3.5, which leads me to believe you have an iPad 1.... i could only assume you mean this for iPad 2, which is jailbreakable on 4.3.3..... when the whole iPad 2 jailbreak came to life, i was on 4.3.0(iPad 2 64GB 3G), which was not jailbreakable with the first Un-official jailbreak, which was wi-fi only on 4.3.0(4.3), so i was out of luck, and within all this, i bought my iPad on launch day and didn't take it out of the box till 2 months later, so i didn't get to save blobs for 4.3 till 4.3.3, where comex tweeted to update to 4.3.3, which i did, now lets say 4.3.3 didn't work out for me, i had no way of downgrading to 4.3, because of no blobs saved...

now i read you said you have 4.2.1 on the iphone, without knowing which iphone you have, and wondering why you are still on 4.2.1, and that i do know iphone 3G last firmware is 4.2.1. But if by some chance you have a iphone 3GS or IP4, and realize you don't want to be tethered by 4.3.5, you can take tips from the image posted.

and my very next post was instructing anyone that have an iPad 2 to save your SHSH blobs, cause you never know which one will be iPad 2 compatible....4.3.7 might be, but you have 4.3.9 currently, but you did save 4.3.7 blobs.

you don't have to be jailbroken to save shsh blobs, just connect your device to tiny umbrella, and save every firmware(shsh blobs) apple releases, just in case you wanna jailbreak to a specific firmware(shsh blobs) you have saved, especially for the tethered - untethered firmware, you don't know which one will be untethered, but atleast you have choices...

hope this wasn't confusing, although it might be, oh well.
edit: seen your sig, after posting this...

OP
S

stayin100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got the iPhone last week, it's a white 16gb CDMA on 4.2.10. Null means that I can't jailbreak it as there is no 100% working jailbreaks for it. I have started saving blobs though. Im just not known for my ability to wait lol.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got the iPhone last week, it's a white 16gb CDMA on 4.2.10. Null means that I can't jailbreak it as there is no 100% working jailbreaks for it. I have started saving blobs though. Im just not known for my ability to wait lol.

ok i get it now, forgot about verizon and its lower strange firmwares(I'm in Canada), and it is a iphone 4....

Seeing as I am on 4.3.5 on the pad and 4.2.10 on the phone my jailbreaks are limited to tethered on the pad, and null on the phone.
because you said "jailbreaks", it made me think both are..

and i do see, 4.2.8 is supported, untethered too and jailbreakme.com compatible, but you're stuck on 4.2.10. You will get a jailbreak soon.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So I've just stumbled on the iPad and iPhone and do like them, coming from the world of android I am used to being able to root any phone and do what ever I want with it. Seeing as I am on 4.3.5 on the pad and 4.2.10 on the phone my jailbreaks are limited to tethered on the pad, and null on the phone. Asking for an answer from someone thats been in the iOS works for a while, do you think the current and upcoming versions will be jailbreakable? I realize why the 4.3.5 jb wouldn't be released until apple releases ios5, but in apple possibly closing the doors on us?

If Apple hates J-Breakers as much as something I once read on some webby web site on the Interweb, a long time ago and I forgot where, well, your answer is no. The future looks bleak and we will not have the ability to JB.

That said, there are oodles of clever folks that are working hard to circumvent Apple and I can or must believe it will forever be possible to JB our devices.

Or I am wrong and Apple will be all too clever and find a way that no matter how clever you are you can’t get around this one. Perhaps something evil and clever and so complex, Apple can’t plug all the holes and a JB is but a click away.

I am hoping some coder(s) will come up with a replacement OS that lets us bid a fond farewell to Apple. Something with unfettered file system access, themes, widgets, and the other things we love.

OP
S

stayin100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like android? Lol, not trying to start anything, just what you described was pretty much the Droid experience. I do love the iOS world more and more as I play with these few new toys I have acquired, but I'm now experiencing the things I argued to iOS users for years as to why I chose google over apple.. Jailbreaking makes things that are essential to me in a mobile device possible, not all of then but the important ones, And I get to benefit from the over all fluidity of this os over Droid, and the highly polished look of them. I do stil own many Droid phones and a galaxy 10.1 tab, but I do wish to keep the iOS stuff, and jail breaking allows me to fill in the holes :( just don't want to get to attached to this whole world if it's coming to an end.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would not count on being able to jailbreak in the future. The new update system will NOT require your permission to download and install iOS patches if you connect your device to the Internet in any way...

Today's system asks because updates are 600M. When they are 1M or less they will simply install themselves... Read your TOS. If you connect to the App Store or iCloud in any way Apple can update your system without asking your permission

I suspect Apple will close the door and nail it shut this time.

-t

Most reactions