What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it true that if you just purchased an Ipad, you must charge it first before using?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
UbuFamily said:
I just bought white Ipad 3rd gen 32gb with cellular. Yepee...

If the battery is holding sufficient charge when you first turn it on, you can use it right out of the box.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
UbuFamily said:
Thank you. Well explained.

Of course, if you're setting up the iPad from the backup of another iPad , it can take several hours for everything to download. In this case it would be better to plug in the iPad during the process.

OP
UbuFamily

UbuFamily

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Of course, if you're setting up the iPad from the backup of another iPad , it can take several hours for everything to download. In this case it would be better to plug in the iPad during the process.

Really? I understand that if we often plug & play the ipad, it would shorten the lifetime of the battery.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
UbuFamily said:
Really? I understand that if we often plug & play the ipad, it would shorten the lifetime of the battery.

The reason you plug in the iPad when doing a large download is to ensure that the battery doesn't run down before the download is finished.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I got my 3rd gen iPad we set it up at the Apple store without having to plug it in. It was sitting at above 80% charge out of the box...

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i thought its better just to drain the battery completely on 1st use so that the battery 'calibrated' right?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You don't calibrate the battery, you calibrate the battery indicator.

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You don't calibrate the battery, you calibrate the battery indicator.

also eversince i got this new ipad last july, i drained the battery (use until its off by itself, not sleep but total dead) once a month before charge it fully, i'm not sure if thats necessary or not......

OP
UbuFamily

UbuFamily

iPF Noob
Reaction score
also eversince i got this new ipad last july, i drained the battery (use until its off by itself, not sleep but total dead) once a month before charge it fully, i'm not sure if thats necessary or not......

I believe the concept are the same as in our cellular handphone. Don't you realize that why most of our battery being fat both side a few months later? and so on the battery will become useless as the charging meter could quickly fully charged but also quickly dead empty. Isn't it obvious?

Most reactions