What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is It Safe To Upgrade to 8.4??

Panama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2. I still have version 7. something on it and it works just fine for me. I started to update to 8 when it came out but I heard there were problems with iPad 2 users and 8 so I didn't. Then 8.1 came along and it was weird and seemed like it was gone all of a sudden so I didn't. They are sort of scaring me off. I have a buddy that upgraded a few months ago that lost a lot of books he had in iBooks....

Anyway, they have me nervous.

I started to download a new photo editing app a couple of days ago and it would not allow me to do it and said that my version was too old to use it - so I thought.... Well, take a chance on messing up my iPad or don't get the app, so I didn't get it. But I am thinking it may be time and all of a sudden I see 8.4 now..

Is it safe this time and is 8.4 OK for iPad2???. Thank you for the time and help.

Also just as an FYI .... I keep getting knocked off this site... Maybe it is just me but it could be happening to others too.... It happened about 4 times a few minutes ago. The screen will blink and go to the home screen. I will log back in and it happens again after a few minutes here...This is the only forum it happens on. Happened the other day a few times too.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
8.4 is ok for iPad 2, make sure you back up before the update. A lot of users have had better results making the jump from 7-8 by using iTunes instead of over the air. Be warned that your iPad will be a touch slower from time to time.

OP
Panama

Panama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found a thread from MickeyFromPace on June 9th in iPad2 forum that does a good job of answering this. I guess something new could have happened since then but I am staying put with 7. Why look for problems that I don't need and somewhere I read that 8 automatically installs some Apple Music streaming stuff that I don't want and won't use. And I don't need it any slower. It is fine like it is. The only thing that even got me thinking was that there was an app I wanted that I could not get without upgrading to 8 -- so I will just do without it.

Most reactions