Is it safe to exchange my iPad 2 now?

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by bsanti, Apr 12, 2011.

1. bsanti

bsanti
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have some light bleeding on all four corners and would like to exchange my iPad, but I don't want to get a new one with the same problem.

Is it safe to exchange now? Are current batches rid of the light bleed problem?

I'm asking here because you guys know more than the so called geniuses at the Apple store.

2. ipaduser434

ipaduser434
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I don't think anyone really knows because obviously not everyone who purchases an iPad 2 worldwide winds up here.

Does the light bleeding show up when you are watching movies, playing games, or using general apps? Or does it just show up with a dark empty screen?

I have a couple of light spots that are noticeable only when powering down, but not at any other time. For me, it's not an issue. My LCD monitor does the same thing at power down.

3. Tarkio

Tarkio
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Go for it, it's completely random. Mine was in the very first batch and it's perfect, so who knows.

4. bsanti

bsanti
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Watching movies mainly. Top left and bottom right corners are more pronounced.

I had thought with the new topics here lately not involving the light bleed problem, that it may have been resolved.

I realize that I have a year warranty, but after the initial 30 days you aren't guaranteed a new one and will probably get a refurb. Is this true?

5. Rudinater

Rudinater
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    The 3G V 64gb black Ipad 2 I picked up last week works great, I have not noted any light leaks at all.

I would bet that it's only a very small percentage of Ipads that have this problem. You hear about it often as you always hear about problems and never how great a items works

6. Misho73

Misho73
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Have u tried the test? Cause other wise u will never see it in regular situations.

I am exchanging mine tonight I will let u know the outcome.

7. Rudinater

Rudinater
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    What a complete waste of time, If I have to run some test to find a other wise unnoticed problem THEN IT'S NOT A PROBLEM.

8. Swingman

Swingman
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Agree. what's the problem if it doesn't happen under normal use?

I went to a dark room and watched part of a movie to check mine and no noticeable light bleed. That's good enough for me.

If seeing light bleed requires a specific test that would never happen under normal use then this is just a case of people making up problems.

9. Misho73

Misho73
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Although I respect ur input but still it is not an accurate statement to give the impression that your device is a problem free, when some of us wants to measure how random is the problem. Talking about testing doesn't mean nessesserly taking it to a dark bathroom. But normal human day to day testing. Like watching a wide screen movie (with black strips at the top and the bottom) or maybe reading a book in the night mode (white text on a black screen and that's how i discovered mine)

If u don't use it in a way that doesn't expose the problem it's good for u. But at least try to be precise.

10. Misho73

Misho73
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I went to Apple store to exchange mine but guess what? The new device was even worse. Kept the first one and won't try another swap. The first one is a keeper. Obviously it's something I have to live with.