What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is it safe to do a Reset All Settings ?

vish26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have the New iPad (Third Generation) I need to do a Reset All settings for some reason. I was worried if I do so would it by any chance cause any harm to the Display or the hardware of the Device in any ways ?

Thanks

vish26

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Provided you are not jailbroken, it is perfectly safe to use the Reset All Settings option. This will delete ALL of your data, apps, and settings off the device though, so make sure you understand what this means. The device will reset as though it was fresh from the factory.

Apple would not provide an option on IOS which would allow you to harm the display or hardware! :D

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you have any data or apps, it is a good idea to back up to itunes on your PC/MAC or to the iCloud.

OP
V

vish26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Reason I am worried is I have just got it and I am absolutely mesmerised with the Retina Display just wanna be sure I dont screw it up any ways !

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Reason I am worried is I have just got it and I am absolutely mesmerised with the Retina Display just wanna be sure I dont screw it up any ways !

A reset won't hurt the display. To do that (hurt the display) you'd need to either scratch is or drop it or sit on it, or something terrible like that. The reset just deletes everything and put it back in the state it was in when you got it, software wise.

OP
V

vish26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A reset won't hurt the display. To do that (hurt the display) you'd need to either scratch is or drop it or sit on it, or something terrible like that. The reset just deletes everything and put it back in the state it was in when you got it, software wise.

Ok...Thanks ! :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Provided you are not jailbroken, it is perfectly safe to use the Reset All Settings option. This will delete ALL of your data, apps, and settings off the device though, so make sure you understand what this means. The device will reset as though it was fresh from the factory.

Apple would not provide an option on IOS which would allow you to harm the display or hardware! :D

Just to be picky, Reset All Settings does not delete anything. All it does is take most of the iPad's settings back to default (with the exception of accounts setting, and maybe a couple other things.) It is perfectly safe. The only inconvenience is that you have to go back through almost all your settings and re-tweak them to your preference.

It is the Erase All Content and Settings option that erases everything and returns the iPad to out-of-the-box mode.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to be picky, Reset All Settings does not delete anything. All it does is take most of the iPad's settings back to default (with the exception of accounts setting, and maybe a couple other things.) It is perfectly safe. The only inconvenience is that you have to go back through almost all your settings and re-tweak them to your preference.

It is the Erase All Content and Settings option that erases everything and returns the iPad to out-of-the-box mode.

Correcting someone's (my) mistake is not being picky TP! I expect nothing less ;)
Apologies for not picking that up and confusing those 2 separate options. As. Jailbreaker, you develop an aversion to all reset options, but that's no excuse!

However, to keep the OP assured, BOTH reset options are perfectly safe in terms of not "damaging" the device :)

Redhotpoker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:

Hi,
I just jokingly figured, if you sit on the iPad 3, you might hatch a mini...Smile
Or not perhaps.
I sat on my Etch-A-Sketch once, but it didn't deliver anything but slivers.

Chas

Most reactions

Latest posts