What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to print from an ipad?

Quicksilver71

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was wondering whether there is any way to send documents from my iPad to either my home or work printers? It would be massively useful to be able to print out email attachments without having to log onto my pc every time.

larjan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I just read that if you have a wireless printer that is on the same network as your iPad you can install the print central app and it will print to your printer. I haven't tried it yet.

Hrothgar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are a few models of HP WiFi printers that have an ePrint add-on app that prints very well with iOS devices when connected on the same wifi network. I'm sure we will soon be seeing a big increase in printers coming out with similar compatibility to iOS, printer manufacturers would be crazy not to serve this expanding market.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I think I just read that if you have a wireless printer that is on the same network as your iPad you can install the print central app and it will print to your printer. I haven't tried it yet.

PrintCentral is still missing in action. Though there has been no official announcement (that I've heard of) the consensus is that it has been replaced by the Print n Share app by the same developer.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was wondering whether there is any way to send documents from my iPad to either my home or work printers? It would be massively useful to be able to print out email attachments without having to log onto my pc every time.

Eprint printers from HP come with their own email address. You can send a document to print from anywhere to that address and it will print it. Provided the document is in the format supported.

kimberleyallen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a printer that I attach to my mac book with a USB cable. Is there a way of connecting the iPad cable usb end to another usb with a connector, would it work? Do connectors exist?

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a printer that I attach to my mac book with a USB cable. Is there a way of connecting the iPad cable usb end to another usb with a connector, would it work? Do connectors exist?

It will not work because the iPad does not have the drivers required to run your printer but if you get one of the printing apps it will use your computer to run the printer. Provided it's on the same network.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

As the other posters have suggested, third party apps can do this. For example ‘Print N Share’ can print to both WiFi printers (directly) and to networked printers via your PC or Mac.

It allows printing under iOS 4.2.1 and iOS 4.3 to non-AirPrint printers. AirPrint is Apple’s proprietary printing protocol that is currently only supported by a few printers. ‘Print N Share’ allows printing to non-AirPrint printers by ‘translating’ the AirPrint printing protocol to a format that your printer ‘understands’.

‘Print N Share’ cleverly inserts itself into the in-app ‘Print’ menu of apps that support in-app printing and ‘pretends’ to be an AirPrint printer. If you have a WiFi printer it prints directly to the printer (i.e. the PC or Mac can be turned off). For non-WiFi printers - i.e networked - it uses a small program (app) that’s loaded onto your PC/Mac (available free to download from the Developer’s website) and ‘links’ your PC/Mac to your iPad. When you print from your iPad the printing data is sent using WiFi to your PC/Mac, where it’s forwarded over the network to your printer. Sounds complicated (OK - that’s because I’ve done a poor job of explaining!) but, in reality, it works just fine!

You need to be aware that not all apps support in-app printing. For example, Apple’s iWorks ‘Pages’ app (Microsoft ‘Word’ compatible) does support in-app printing, but the iPad’s native ‘Calendar’ app doesn’t. So, if you have some specific printing requirements check the app supports in-app printing. That said, there are usually ‘workarounds’!

Let us know if you have any other questions, or if I can clarify what I’ve said here (well, I can hardly make it less clear!)

I should add the usual disclaimer - I have no association with the developers of ‘Print N Share’, other than being a satisfied customer. There are, of course, many other third-party printing apps and I’m sure you’ll get feedback from other Forum members about those apps.

Enjoy your iPad and Happy Printing!

Tim
Scotland

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score

As the other posters have suggested, third party apps can do this. For example ‘Print N Share’ can print to both WiFi printers (directly) and to networked printers via your PC or Mac.

It allows printing under iOS 4.2.1 and iOS 4.3 to non-AirPrint printers. AirPrint is Apple’s proprietary printing protocol that is currently only supported by a few printers. ‘Print N Share’ allows printing to non-AirPrint printers by ‘translating’ the AirPrint printing protocol to a format that your printer ‘understands’.

‘Print N Share’ cleverly inserts itself into the in-app ‘Print’ menu of apps that support in-app printing and ‘pretends’ to be an AirPrint printer. If you have a WiFi printer it prints directly to the printer (i.e. the PC or Mac can be turned off). For non-WiFi printers - i.e networked - it uses a small program (app) that’s loaded onto your PC/Mac (available free to download from the Developer’s website) and ‘links’ your PC/Mac to your iPad. When you print from your iPad the printing data is sent using WiFi to your PC/Mac, where it’s forwarded over the network to your printer. Sounds complicated (OK - that’s because I’ve done a poor job of explaining!) but, in reality, it works just fine!

You need to be aware that not all apps support in-app printing. For example, Apple’s iWorks ‘Pages’ app (Microsoft ‘Word’ compatible) does support in-app printing, but the iPad’s native ‘Calendar’ app doesn’t. So, if you have some specific printing requirements check the app supports in-app printing. That said, there are usually ‘workarounds’!

Let us know if you have any other questions, or if I can clarify what I’ve said here (well, I can hardly make it less clear!)

I should add the usual disclaimer - I have no association with the developers of ‘Print N Share’, other than being a satisfied customer. There are, of course, many other third-party printing apps and I’m sure you’ll get feedback from other Forum members about those apps.

Enjoy your iPad and Happy Printing!

Tim
Scotland

Very informative post. Thanks!

kimberleyallen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies. Can I just clarify the mechanics of what I do?!
Install Print N Share to my iPad
Connect iPad to MacBook via usb cable
Connect MacBook to Printer via usb cable
Is that right? :D

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies. Can I just clarify the mechanics of what I do?!
Install Print N Share to my iPad
Connect iPad to MacBook via usb cable
Connect MacBook to Printer via usb cable
Is that right? :D

Everything is okay but one point. You don't have to connect the iPad to your MacBook via USB cable if they both are on the same wifi network.
What happens is that when you ask the iPad to print via a third party printing app it will search for a printer on the network. If it finds one it will seek out the computer that's connected to that printer and send the print job to that computer and that computer will do the job. Does that make more sense to you?:)

Most reactions

Latest posts