What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to jailbreak my iPad 2 6.0.1 without iTunes?

Joppin14

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iTunes on my computer is permanently damaged (I have a missing msi.dll and have tried EVERYTHING in the book to fix it). I was wondering if I can jailbreak my iPad using redsn0w without iTunes.

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
I can't understand why removing and reinstalling iTunes isn't sorting the problem out. Is it Windows7 your using, as I've found a few people on the net complaining of this, it can be redownloaded from the Microsoft site.

Can you try and explain how you've tried to resolve this problem, as I'm pretty sure you require iTunes to complete the Jailbreak!

Chris
IPF Team

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
First off, I'm totally with Chris on getting your iTunes installation sorted. Not having msi.dll is a fairly fundamental Windows error, and failing to fix it will simply be the start of ongoing problems for a long time to come. I'd heartily recommend doing a "Windows Repair" to try and fix it.

Secondly however, iTunes should not be required for the latest jailbreak, evasi0n. (redsn0w is not the right choice for 6.x.)

evasi0n uses (and exploits) the 3rd party libmobiledevice library to communicate with the device (hence the reason there is a linux flavour of the jailbreak from the outset - iTunes doesn't exist on Lunux!).

See our thread here for the necessary links - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24377-jailbreaking-methods-ipad.html

OP
J

Joppin14

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've looked up missing msi.dll remedies over and over and over again. I've tried every tutorial out there that i have found and I still get the same error.

"iTunes64Setup (8).exe - Bad Image

C:\Users\Dan\Downloads\msi.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support."

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would say download again using another browser. It's common to have a heap of errors when downloading IPSW or basically anything Apple related using Internet Explorer.

OP
J

Joppin14

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just tried to download Safari and it wouldn't let me download that either. It had the same error message. My PC hates Apple :(.

OP
J

Joppin14

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I appreciate the help guys and I tried everything on that list. I just cant figure it out. Might be time to buy a new computer.

Most reactions

Latest posts