What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to downgrade from iOS 12 (without rooting/jailbreaking)

MCRVamprynxx33

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ever since upgrading my iPad to iOS 12 I've been having issues, with using apps and games and it randomly restarting my iPad, I've never had this issue until upgrading. Also some games I play the game but if I leave the game it erases my progress and makes me reinstall the game EVERY TIME. (Right now I currently use it strictly for gaming since my PC is ancient and severely lags when I try to play even simple games on it) -- (off topic: also trying to get into youtube, playing games, making videos but this constant restarting not helping /off topic).

Is there a tutorial out there (or a easy way to downgrade from iOS 12) WITHOUT rooting/jailbreaking the iPad (don't feel comfortable doing that). Or do I just have to suffer with the random restarting and hope they release a update/fix for their issues in iOS 12 soon?

Thanks,
~Vampyrka~

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It’s still possible, as long as Apple signs older software versions, which is the case at the moment.

To revert to a previous iOS, you need a computer, and the latest iTunes version installed on it.
Download the right version for your device from this link:
Download: Apple Releases iOS 11.4.1 Final Version

Open iTunes and connect your iPad to it.

On your iPad, turn off “Find my iPad” in Settings.
Then put your device into DFU mode: DFU Mode for Dummies

On a Mac, hold down the Option key - on a PC it’s the Shift key - and click Restore iPad. Then select the IPSW file you’ve downloaded earlier. iTunes will start restoring your device, during that process your iPad will be restarted as well. Once it’s finished, you’re back to 11.4.1.

Hope that helps.

OP
MCRVamprynxx33

MCRVamprynxx33

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you so much J. A.! I'll get to work on downgrading, and hope it fixes all my issues.

EDIT: Hm.. is the version I need to download is iPad 6 (9.7 - 2018)?

I have the newest iPad (6th Gen), 2018 model.

Make sure I download the right thing...

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, that’s the right one.

If you try installing the wrong IPSW file, you’ll get an error (3194 - this device isn’t eligible for the requested build).

Most reactions

Latest posts