What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to back up everything on your ipad?

skatealex2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lets just say presumably someone wanted to sell their ipad in preperation for the 2nd gen pad, would there be anyway to save everything that is stored on their current ipad so it can be transferred back later?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But before you sell your iPad, be sure to do a Restore from iTunes on your computer. This will make sure that all of your personal data and settings (like for your email and iTunes/AppStore account/WiFi password,etc.) and erased.

To backup your iPad, open iTunes on your computer and you can either sync or right-click on your iPad and select Backup

backup.jpg

Once you do this, you can Restore your iPad. When you do, you will get this message --

restore.jpg

After you go through this process and your iPad comes back in iTunes, you will get this message. You will want to set it up as a new iPad.

itunes26.jpg

Once you do that, you will get this message --

itunes27.jpg

You can check the options to sync the songs and applications so it will be all ready for the new owner!

Last edited:
OP
S

skatealex2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cool. Once i see the ipad2 is getting closer i may just sell my 3g 16gb if i can get good $$ from it. The camera is sounding good the more i think about it.

thanks for all the info!

Last edited:

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I guess with an update expected in the near future you would perform the backup before installing the update? Or does the update automatically back up for you?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Backup and restore to different generations of hardware + major releases of IOS are troublesome...
I would not bet the bank that you can backup a 1st gen iPad and restore to a 2nd gen...
It is almost always best to start a new device as a new device... Of course your iTunes content is always safely re-synchronised regardless, but application settings are a different kettle of fish.
However having said all that, we won't REALLY know what is possible until we know exactly what the 2nd Gen will be, and what version of IOS it will ship with...
The only good advice at the moment is keep your devices backed up in iTunes as normal.

Most reactions

Latest posts