What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it okay to type on iPad like you would on a PC keyboard?

Skiier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to be able to take notes of meetings on my iPad so as to avoid bringing my laptop. I have done this at a couple of meetings, taking a pretty full note by typing in Docs to Go and uploading to a cloud account. I type gently and don't bang the screen with my fingers. However, I am worried because I am not sure if the iPod was built to be used in this way and don't want to damage the screen.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Skiier said:
I want to be able to take notes of meetings on my iPad so as to avoid bringing my laptop. I have done this at a couple of meetings, taking a pretty full note by typing in Docs to Go and uploading to a cloud account. I type gently and don't bang the screen with my fingers. However, I am worried because I am not sure if the iPod was built to be used in this way and don't want to damage the screen.

No, as long as you keep your hands higher than you would on a normal keyboard, you should be fine. I'm a typist but I am getting quicker all the time on this keyboard. I do use my Bluetooth keyboard for longer essays though!

OP
S

Skiier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, thats a relief to know. What are the advantages of using a Bluetooth keyboard over the normal screen keyboard and does it use up a lot of battery power? Where do you keep your BT keyboard or is it built into your iPad case?

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Skiier said:
Thanks, thats a relief to know. What are the advantages of using a Bluetooth keyboard over the normal screen keyboard and does it use up a lot of battery power? Where do you keep your BT keyboard or is it built into your iPad case?

Not sure about battery power but I'm sure Twerppoet will be up soon and help with that one but I haven't got a specific iPad case with it in but I know there are loads of them from all the other forum members posts. I keep mine in my netbook bag with the iPad and just hook it out when I need it. I don't like having the keyboard attached to the iPad as that kind of negates the ease of use of having an iPad but I know others do. Practice makes perfect and with the autocorrect it is kind of easier to go faster and correct mistakes later. When I use the keyboard, I miss the autocorrect.

Reaction score
How long a Bluetooth keyboard battery lasts, depends on the keyboard and usage. But for an Apple wireless keyboard, roughly 2 month of medium usage can be expected.

Hayles66 said:
When I use the keyboard, I miss the autocorrect.

Now this is odd.

Autocorrect still works for me, when using an external keyboard and it is utterly annoying, especially as there is no quick way of changing the input language, or even cancel the autocorrect.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
How long a Bluetooth keyboard battery lasts, depends on the keyboard and usage. But for an Apple wireless keyboard, roughly 2 month of medium usage can be expected.

Now this is odd.

Autocorrect still works for me, when using an external keyboard and it is utterly annoying, especially as there is no quick way of changing the input language, or even cancel the autocorrect.

I wonder why I don't get it hmmm

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hayles66 said:
When I use the keyboard, I miss the autocorrect.

Now this is odd.

But you can simply turn auto-correct off, though. I guess you're saying there's no quick way of switching it on and off.......:eek:

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Skiier said:

Not sure about battery power but I'm sure Twerppoet will be up soon and help with that one...

Looks to me like all questions have been pretty much answered. Not that I'm an expert with bluetooth keyboards. I have a spare Apple keyboard I keep paired with the iPad, just incase I need it, but I've broken it out maybe once or twice in the last couple months. But the keyboard that I'm using, a lot, with my iMac seems to last forever. I wish the Magic Mouse did.

If you touch type, which I do (if not competently) then a bluetooth keyboard is great for longer stuff. If you are a hunt and pecker there's no real advantage. Well, except you get arrow keys to move the cursor with.

Strangely, once I got used to the iPad's method of placing the cursor, the only time I want the arrow keys is when I'm using the bluetooth keyboard, so I don't have to reach up to the screen all the time.

Most reactions

Latest posts